Occasional Contributor II

Rap5wn & 3g

All,

Sorry if this has been discussed prior, but I have been unable to find anything.

We need a solution that uses 3g, our Aruba partner has suggested a 5WN.
With the RAP being used in a vehicle I wonder if anyones know of a 3g RAP that supports an external antenna?

Cheers.
tweet @wjhphoto
Guru Elite

Re: Rap5wn & 3g

There are a number of 3g cards that support an external antenna, but you need to check with your local Wireless company to determine that. So many models come and go, so quickly..

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MC
Occasional Contributor I

I read this as asking what AP supports an external antenna along using 3G for backhaul. Guess it could be either way?

If referring to the external antenna for the WiFi itself:

- RAP2
- AP70 (are these even sold anymore?)

I don't think any of the other models have a USB port for the 3G.

If referring to the 3G radio, then pretty much disregard everything I have said and go with the previous post. :)
Guru Elite

I guess I did not understand.

Only the AP70, which is end of sale, can be provisioned with external antennas.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Rap5wn & 3g

Hello, Sorry I wasn't very clear. The antenna would be for the 3g and not the
Wi-Fi
I know I can stick a USB 3g dongle into a RAP 5wn and I don't believe the Wi-fi siganl will be an issue.

But it's the 3g backhaul signal I was wanting to improve as the AP will be mounted inside a Bus.

(Is that clearer???)
tweet @wjhphoto
Guru Elite

Yes. I understand now.

There are quite a few 3g USB sticks that have hidden connectors for external antennas. Once again, they come and they go often, so you might want to consult your local wireless company to see what they have currently.

Colin Joseph

New Contributor

I currently have a RAP5WN with a GSM-based Sierra 885 USB stick. It contains an external antenna connector for the 3G/HSDPA radio. The magmount antenna may provide you several db gain on the carrier signal. I believe its CDMA-based counterpart also has a similar design.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: