Access Points

Frequent Contributor I

Remote AP - Standard Mode/Split Tunnel

How do I obtain a local IP for a remote AP? I have a branch office with remote AP's, the controller is not local (off site datacenter)..DHCP is local, file servers local, etc.. How can I obtain a local address (VLAN)? Can't use Bridge mode because we use captive portal. Any ideas?
Guru Elite

Re: Remote AP - Standard Mode/Split Tunnel

The questions are:

- What kind of wireless network is it (guest, employee, etc)?
- Does it use encryption/authentication?
- What services are you trying to deliver to the client?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Frequent Contributor I

Employee and Guest access
Encryption: TKIP
Authenication: 802.1x using Radius, Captive Portal for Guest Access
Services?
Guru Elite

What you can do is:

- On Employee, change the Virtual AP forwarding mode to bridged. That will give the clients an ip address in the same local range as the access point.
- On the Guest SSID, you can make it fully tunneled so that you can filter guest user traffic back at the headend.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Frequent Contributor I

How does it get assigned a VLAN though? loop back address?
Guru Elite

It would get the ip address from whatever the local subnet DHCP server is providing. User traffic is truly bridged through the ethernet of the access point.

ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Aruba Employee

Remember!

since u have mentioned captive portal when u were asked what type of authentication u wud like to do......here is a quick note

Captive portal doesnt work in bridge mode....
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: