Access Points

Users suddenly unable to connect. Rebooting AP resolves.

Hi,
Periodically we have an issue were suddenly users for a particular ssid are unable to connect. The ssid is being broadcast and visible with good signal.

We have raised a case for this before and it was inconclusive. Everytime however, rebooting the AP has resolved. For reference, the AP is not even close to the 64 user limit.

It is on an AP70 and we are using 3.4.3.1

Has anyone seen this? Is there any specific logging to enable etc to resolve this?

Thanks

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Guru Elite

Re: Users suddenly unable to connect. Rebooting AP resolves.

When this happens, you might consider running a packet capture on the channel of that AP70 in the area to see if it is responding to probe requests. That is the first step in determining if the access point is even answering, or if clients are avoiding it for another entirely different reason, like possibly interference.

You can run an RFT test to ensure that both internal antennas on that access point is working, You can also run an RFT test to a client nearby to see if it is working http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=358

For example, if I wanted to test the antenna connectivity from that access point to a client nearby, I would do:

(3600.arubanetworks.com) # rft test profile antenna-connectivity ap-name cjoseph dest-mac 00:23:6c:90:05:11
Transaction ID: 1

(3600.arubanetworks.com) #show rft result trans-id 1

Profile AntennaConnectivity, TransID 1, AP 10.69.48.169, Dest 00:23:6c:90:05:11, Radio 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antenna Connectivity Test Result
--------------------------------
Antenna 1: Avg S/N ratio: 53 Success Rate: 100%
Antenna 2: Avg S/N ratio: 53 Success Rate: 100%
Difference: 0 0%

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks Colin,

Did an Airmagnet capture and the AP is responding to the clients Authentication request with an Acknowledgement rather that an Authentication Response, which is what I see when the connection is working.

This Acknowledgement has no bssid or source address either.

The connection is on the a radio, so unlikely to be interference.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Guru Elite

If the AP is not accepting associations, that + a regular packet capture (Not sure if they can read Airmagnet format) should be enough to open a case. If you can be sure that the packet capture tool is ONLY scanning on the channel you are concerned about, that would also be good so that you do not miss any frames. The packet capture evidence for multiple clients should be enough for them to go on.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi Colin,
This particular ssid was on two APs in the area and I set it to scan only on those channels. Both APs were behaving the same.
Have raised a case in anyhow.
Thanks

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: