Occasional Contributor II

Vlan tagging

Is it possible to have an AP-105 do vlan tagging? We use 3com switches, the ports can be set as a hybrid port. At this setting the port on the switch checks the incoming frame for vlan tags. If it has one it puts it on that vlan. if the piece of equipment that is attached to the port can't do tagging, then the port has to be set as an access port. for our situation we would rather use hybrid ports.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Vlan Tagging

Vlan Tagging is not supported in the current version of code, but I was told that it would be supported in the next Major release coming being released very soon. Most deployments, for simplicity tunnel all traffic back to the controller where you would only have to configure a single trunk, as opposed to having to manage multiple trunks on the edge. Please describe your deployment.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Vlan tagging

we use 3com 4400 pwr switches. our core switch is in our noc in our admin building along with our controller. Each building is on its own network with a transport network connecting core to buildings. At this point all buildings are there own broadcast domains. we had a few apple airport scattered through out the building. dns and dhcp are also located at the buildings. when we decided to put in wireless we also put in a viop phone system. so we decided to divide the building network up int 3 vlans IE: voice, wireless and default. default get all the wired traffic, Our routes are set up that the controller can see access points when we plug it in but unless we program the switch port to access, it gets the default vlan instead of the wireless. If the AP could tag its traffic for the right vlan we could set all ports to hybrid. I hope this is not confusing. I realize that the traffic tunnels to the controller. we just want the tunnel on the right vlan.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks
Guru Elite

I think I understand

I think I understand. If your core switch is in your NOC, and it has all the VLANs, why don't you just trunk all of those VLANs to the Aruba Controller? After you do that, create Virtual APs (wireless lan instances) with the VLAN of those users. That way, the users, no matter what VLAN the access point is physically on, will be tunneled back and placed on the correct VLAN. You would not have to change all of your access ports that your access points are on to trunks. Your APs can be on any VLAN, and when they tunnel their user traffic back to your core, your users are placed on the correct vlans.

For each building that has separate VLANs, you would have to create a Virtual APs that have the same SSID profile, but VLANs that correspond to the VLANs in that building.

Is this workable, and does it make sense?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I think I understand what you are saying. not quite sure we are on the same page though, or maybe i'm making this to complicated. would you posibably be up for a phone conversation? maybe I can explain better what we are trying to do.
Aruba Employee

Ryan,

The AP cannot be the source of dot1q frames. If you made your native VLAN on the trunk port the wireless VLAN, everything would work, though. When the AP boots, it will send/receive traffic on the untagged (native) VLAN. Do the "hybrid" ports have a native VLAN setting like most other vendors 802.1q trunk ports? Sorry for not being familiar with the 3COM switches.
New Contributor

Ryan,

We have/had an extremely similar setup to what you are trying to do. Right down to the 3Com switches and huge broadcast domains for each building. Like others have said, the best solution for us was to tag the wireless VLAN all the way back to the controller. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email.

Thanks

I figured that was the case. I will set the ports that the ap's are connected to access and we will be good. I appreciate ever ones Help.

Thanks All