Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Way to tell if an AP has a manual/static config?

We have a client who wants their Aruba system completely rebuilt/reconfigured--basically, a 'write erase all' and start over.

So I wonder if there's a way to determine (before blowing away the system) whether AP's have static configs on them, either for IP addressing, or controller addresses, without having to connect to the AP with a console cable.

If we do the 'write erase all', then it could be trouble if there are AP's out there with static configs as some will be very difficult to reach with a console cable. (I guess we could get away with reusing the controller IP addresses and not changing any of the networks between the AP and controller, but it would be good to know if that's what we *need* to do.)
Guru Elite

AP installation

We have a client who wants their Aruba system completely rebuilt/reconfigured--basically, a 'write erase all' and start over.

So I wonder if there's a way to determine (before blowing away the system) whether AP's have static configs on them, either for IP addressing, or controller addresses, without having to connect to the AP with a console cable.

If we do the 'write erase all', then it could be trouble if there are AP's out there with static configs as some will be very difficult to reach with a console cable. (I guess we could get away with reusing the controller IP addresses and not changing any of the networks between the AP and controller, but it would be good to know if that's what we *need* to do.)

If you go to Configuration> Wireless> AP Installation and highlight an access point and click on provision, you would be able to see if it has static configurations for ip addresses and the master ip. You can only do this to a single AP at a time. On the commandline, you can also do "show ap provisioning ap-name " to see what is statically configured:

(m3.arubanetworks.com) # show ap provisioning ap-name howard-rap5

AP "howard-rap5" Provisioning Parameters
-----------------------------------------
Item Value
---- -----
AP Name howard-rap5
AP Group default-a
Location name N/A
SNMP sysLocation N/A
Master m3.arubanetworks.com
Gateway N/A
Netmask N/A
IP Addr N/A
DNS IP N/A
Domain Name N/A
Server Name aruba-master
Server IP N/A
Antenna gain for 802.11a N/A
Antenna gain for 802.11g N/A
Antenna for 802.11a both
Antenna for 802.11g both
IKE PSK N/A
PAP User Name N/A
PAP Password N/A
PPPOE User Name N/A
PPPOE Password N/A
PPPOE Service Name N/A
USB User Name N/A
USB Password N/A
USB Device Type any
USB Device Identifier N/A
USB Dial String N/A
USB Initialization String N/A
USB TTY device path N/A
Remote AP Yes
Link Priority Ethernet 0
Link Priority Cellular 0
Mesh Role none
Installation default
Latitude N/A
Longitude N/A
Altitude N/A
Antenna bearing for 802.11a N/A
Antenna bearing for 802.11g N/A
Antenna tilt angle for 802.11a N/A
Antenna tilt angle for 802.11g N/A
Mesh SAE sae-disable

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Re: Way to tell if an AP has a manual/static config?

use this command to find the ip addresses of your aps
show ap database

If you are assigning the IPs from the controller you can use
show ip dhcp database
or
show ip dhcp binding
on the controller or appropriate command on your DHCP server to find this info
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! (Sorry for the tardy response, I was out of town and preoccupied with other tasks.)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: