Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

ap provisioning + DHCP option 43 and 64

I have a remote campus that uses a different subnet than our main campus.
I have added the dns entry for aruba-master. When accessing an ap via console, the ap successfully contacts dhcp and receives its ip address. It then tries to contact the master controller via dns...and continually times out. I even brought the ap back to main campus and connected it directly to the controller, with the same results. I am looking into the port restrictions in our WAN, but I also want to add the option 43 and 60 to DHCP, however, I am unsure as to what information needs to be added for each of these options for the vendor info. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Centurio
Guru Elite

Re: ap provisioning + DHCP option 43 and 64

DNS is the easiest, way, no doubt. To troubleshoot a discovery issue, you should plug into the console port and stop the boot. Next, when you get to the apboot> prompt, type DHCP to see what your DHCP server is sending back for the domain. If it is blank, or it is NOT sending the domain that you have "aruba-master" configured in, it will not work. If it does send the correct domain back, then you might want to make sure that there is no firewall between your access point and the controller.

How to configure the DHCP options in in Appendix A, "DHCP with Vendor-Specific Options" of the ArubaOS user guide.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

DNS is the easiest, way, no doubt. To troubleshoot a discovery issue, you should plug into the console port and stop the boot. Next, when you get to the apboot> prompt, type DHCP to see what your DHCP server is sending back for the domain. If it is blank, or it is NOT sending the domain that you have "aruba-master" configured in, it will not work. If it does send the correct domain back, then you might want to make sure that there is no firewall between your access point and the controller.

How to configure the DHCP options in in Appendix A, "DHCP with Vendor-Specific Options" of the ArubaOS user guide.

Thanks for the info, I suspect the firewall, since DHCP did return the correct addresses.
Guru Elite

Please look at the article here: http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=63 to see what ports need to be opened on your firewall between access points and the controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: