Access Points

Contributor I

iPad Losing Connectivity

I just set up our Aruba 105 and trying out some things...

I have two virtual APs... on is a straight WPA2 secure SSID.

The other is a guest SSID with the captive portal. (Just email address required.)

I can connect the iPad to the general WPA2 SSID. However, after casual browsing, it boots me off the wireless and asks me to select a wireless network. I can click it again, but I don't have that kind of result on my $100 access point at home. What gives?

(BTW... for testing purposes, I have two APs deployed and they "see" each other just fine. One is elsewhere in the building and is the VC... the other is in my office. I'm connecting to the one in my office as the other is out of range.)
Aruba

iPad Losing Connectivity

iPADs are pretty much ubiquitous these days across most WLANs...and Aruba WLANs for that matter. We need to follow standard troubleshooting procedures to find out why this scenario is being more finicky than normal.
I have 2 iPADs and 3 iTouches on my network and they never disconnect..but I know that doesn't give you root cause...just perhaps some hope that we will find the gremlin here. :)

Let's start out...

a) Using PSK or Radius/dot1x ?

b) I read at the bottom of your post that you are mentioning "VC"... so that means you are using iAP105 and not AP-105, correct ? Changes the troubleshooting methodology of course... I was going to suggest some controller commands but they won't help if you have iAPs... pls confirm.

c) What version of iOS is running on the iPAD ?
Contributor I

Re: iPad Losing Connectivity

Let me reply to your questions after I try rolling back the firmware that just came out today and make sure it's happening in both versions...

Thanks for the quick reply. I will post my findings about firmware and we can go from there.
Aruba

iPad Losing Connectivity

Thanks Chris.

Look fwd to the outcome...
Frequent Contributor II

ipad losing connectivity

We have many ipads and they stay connected to the corporate wireless just fine. We use mac address for machine auth and AD username/pwd for user auth.

However, when that same ipad connects to the guest portal which just uses email and wpa2 - after about 5 minutes they will get booted off and have to go to the portal page again to get back on the wireless. It looks to be related to the ipad going to sleep and causing the device to lose it's IP and have to go back to the portal page. One other note - if you are actively surfing it works fine. Just don't let it go to sleep :(
Contributor I

Naturally, I left my iPad at home today and the teachers have theirs for the summer.

However, I now have three IAP105s in the building in their approximate locations for testing over the summer. Using a laptop (XP, IE8), I didn't see any drop outs even roaming the building between the 3 APs. Cool.

This setup includes:
Primary Usage: Employee
Client IP: Network assigned > Default (picks up a DHCP addy from router)
Security: WPA2 Personal > 8-63 alpha chars > Mac Disabled
Access: No restrictions

However, when I connect to the guest network, I first receive a certificate error (see a related post), but can bypass to get the captive portal. After entering email addy, I can browse. However, after a short period of time browsing, it kicks me back to the captive portal. Rinse and repeat.

Guest setup includes:
Primary Usage: guest
Client IP: Virtual controller assigned
Security: Splash page > Internal Acknowledged (no encryption)
Access: Network-based
Deny any on server 192.168.1.199 (SBS2003)
Deny any on server 192.168.1.100 (Win2k3)
Allow any to all destinations

I'll remember my iPad tomorrow for further testing, but wanted to update since you were so kind to offer help.
Contributor I

Ok. Here is what I'm finding...

Using the original iPad, OS 4.3.2, I can connect to any of my IAP105 units using WPA2-Personal.

Watching the LEDs of these units... all of which are green, the 11B/G/N will turn amber for about 2-4 seconds. This is when the iPad loses connectivity.

The IAP105 that is set as the virtual controller is the only one fo the 4 that doesn't seem to have this behavior. I can duplicate this across the other 3 APs.

Next, I'll try a regular XP laptop to see if I can duplicate.

A few other details:
- IAP105 Firmware: 5.0.3.0-1.1.0.0_29082
- APs are statically assigned.
- iPad picks up a DHCP address from our router.
Contributor I

Guru Elite

Ok. Here is what I'm finding...

Using the original iPad, OS 4.3.2, I can connect to any of my IAP105 units using WPA2-Personal.

Watching the LEDs of these units... all of which are green, the 11B/G/N will turn amber for about 2-4 seconds. This is when the iPad loses connectivity.

The IAP105 that is set as the virtual controller is the only one fo the 4 that doesn't seem to have this behavior. I can duplicate this across the other 3 APs.

Next, I'll try a regular XP laptop to see if I can duplicate.

A few other details:
- IAP105 Firmware: 5.0.3.0-1.1.0.0_29082
- APs are statically assigned.
- iPad picks up a DHCP address from our router.

Chris,

Please PM me so we can deal with your issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Rolled back to previous firmware, cleared configuration, and all seems happy so far. Me included. :)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: