Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

issues connecting game consoles (xbox360 and Wii)

We're using mostly AP70s and some AP125s, controller version 3.4.2.2, one flat wlan, one SSID, no encryption, and we're having an issue with some game consoles. When they try to associate they give an error along the lines of "multiple APs detected, please verify your SSID". When we look up the errors, the impression we get is that it sees too many APs with the same SSID. Looks like it's a feature to protect someone with 6 "netgear" networks in range and make sure they connect to their AP, not the neighbors.

Has anyone seen this, anyone know how to get around it?

It's not happening to all of the consoles, some xbox360 units work, and some Wii units work. We've wired them to get software updates, but those don't help.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Guru Elite

Exact Error

What is the exact error for the Xbox and the exact error for the WII? Does Microsoft or Nintendo have anything to say about this?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: issues connecting game consoles (xbox360 and Wii)

The Wii test connection returns a failure - "Error Code 51330" - there's a faq on the nintendo support site, but none of the recommendations really apply to us. It seems more geared for troubleshooting a home network with 1 ap.

for the Xbox, when searching it shows our network and lets us select it, when it goes to connect we get an error
"Duplicate network found with the same name, change your networks name to make it easier to find the correct one"
it will then not connect.

we posted on the forum for Xbox, I've gotten nothing official in response..
Aruba Employee

use ap-name based config

Assuming location of game consoles do not move around; you can have ap-name based configuration for an AP sitting right about the game console.

configure SSID just on that AP, so the console will not see multiple SSIDs

we've got 200 APs in 10 dorms, our students can move as often as every 3 weeks. Changing SSIDs isn't an option.

Any other suggestions?

Manual setup

we've got 200 APs in 10 dorms, our students can move as often as every 3 weeks. Changing SSIDs isn't an option.

Any other suggestions?

I'm wondering if you could use the manual setup on the Wii (or XBOX), and try using a "hidden" SSID that just doesn't broadcast the name of the SSID. Sometimes their firmware just isn't smart enough to do the same checks depending on the method you use to config it.

Good luck!
Frequent Contributor II

Game consoles test connection

The Wii needs to connect to a URL that ends with nintendowifi.net. I believe the xbox needs to connect to a URL that ends with xbox.com or xboxlive.com (I am not sure which. Perhaps both.)

I do not recall hearing about that particular xbox error, though. :(

Wireshark is your friend :D

Bruce Osborne
Liberty University

The Wii test connection returns a failure - "Error Code 51330" - there's a faq on the nintendo support site, but none of the recommendations really apply to us. It seems more geared for troubleshooting a home network with 1 ap.

for the Xbox, when searching it shows our network and lets us select it, when it goes to connect we get an error
"Duplicate network found with the same name, change your networks name to make it easier to find the correct one"
it will then not connect.

we posted on the forum for Xbox, I've gotten nothing official in response..

Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer
ACCP, ACMP

:(

1 - we did try to manually connect the consoles, that's when they spit out the error.
2 - the consoles won't even associate with the wireless network, so it's got nothing to do with access to a web page.

The consoles will not associate with the network because they see "too many" APs with the same SSID. Our guess is this is a feature designed to protect people from connecting to the wrong "netgear" network. In an enterprise environment, there will be many APs with the same SSID for adequate coverage.

Out of many consoles, all different types, only a handful are not working. For every xbox that won't connect, there are a dozen that work just fine. Our fear is that this feature is getting rolled out with code updates and that eventually all of them will behave this way.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know a way around it that does not involve sweeping, impractical changes to the environment?

Thanks!
New Contributor

Re: issues connecting game consoles (xbox360 and Wii)

I haven't seen the error message you're describing but I know the Wii has issues connecting if it doesn't see the slower connection rates advertised, 2Mbps has been cited specifically.
Aruba Employee

re: issues connecting game consoles (xbox360 and Wii)

This definitely sounds like a client problem. The theory that this is in place to protect home users from connecting to the wrong 'Netgear' SSID sounds plausible to me.
My question would be how many is too many?
I would guess that the console sends out a probe for the selected SSID and makes this decision based on the number of unique probe responses.
Would you be able to experiment a bit to find out? The fact that some work and others don't could be a firmware difference or it could be a location difference. Do two XBoxes or two Wiis in the same location have the same problem?

Maybe try this experiment to find out without disrupting the rest of the network:
Clone your existing AP config.
Create a new SSID and add it to the cloned config.
Move one AP to the new group and have one of the problem consoles in a problem location join that SSID.
Then add more APs to the new group until the console fails.

Make sure you repeat the test a couple of times each time you add an AP to the group to account for variances in timing. Once you have that number you can decide how to proceed.

-J
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: