Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

manual power and channel

I have customer unhappy with WLAN performance, and they want to test if manual setting of power (with ARM disabled) and channel will improve network performance. Network has 35x AP-60/61, which belong to 5x AP groupes.
Is there a way to set manually channel and EIRP for every AP independently without creating 35x separate groups?
Also, the EIRP specified in AP profile, is overriden in many cases by values in other profiles, so I would be happy to get specific recomendations how to do it.
I would prefer not to change config too much, as I don't expect that performance will be improved by manual settings, but it must be demonstrated.

Any suggestions are appreshiated...
Guru Elite

Re: manual power and channel

I am attaching an ARM document supplement which will show you how to configure ARM. By default ARM works fine out that box, but please read the Supplement to get a good idea about it.

You can manually change the channel and power for each access point, but you need to create an AP-Specific profile to do it for each access point (very tedious, like setting a manual channel plan back in the day). Go to configuration> wireless> AP configuration. Click on AP-specific and then click on "New". Select your AP (if it is up) and then click on Add. Click on edit for the AP that you want to statically configure. Expand RF management and click on 802.11g radio profile. In the left pane, click the dropdown that says "Inherited" and click on NEW to create a new 802.11g radio profile. In the "Channel" Box, put the channel that you want the access point to be on. Click on Apply in the lower right hand corner. Back out to the Adaptive Radio Management profile under that 802.11g radio profile. Change the Adaptive Radio Management profile in the right pane to "New" and type a new name. Make sure the Assignment parameter is "Disable". Click on apply in the lower right hand corner.

You would do that for every access point that you would want to change, but my advice is do not do it.

What kind of performance issues is the customer having? What kind of clients? What kind of encryption? What version of ArubaOS?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks, sorry for late comment -- I posted a question, and proceeded to do exactly this, and it's really radiculuos (there are about 40 APs!).
Customer reported some improvement, so. Now ARM is enabled again, as I was not prepared to allow run with static setting in dynamic environment without supervision.
It's a big retail shopping chain central warehouse, clients are mainly Casio and Unitech handheld bar-code scanners. Main problem is that Unitech support only WEP, so it is used for the network.
Seems that main problem is with roaming from one AP to another -- client often stick to one AP, and there is reconnection to network (instead of roaming) on switching to another AP, resulting in the lost packets...
Software is still 3.4.x, as upgrade requires some downtime, which is difficult to arrange -- must be somewhere ar midnight, nobody is eager to do it without real reason...
Regards,
Eizens
Guru Elite

If you are having problems and this is a production network (it seems like it is), please open a support case so that they can come up with a custom solution based on your individual issues. You may not be able to give us enough information on this public forum to provide you a good solution. TAC, on the other hand, will be able to do that.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: