Occasional Contributor II

the IAP can't roaming

i have the IAP 4 units for my network
I do use https for the basic configuration stuff i do not configure the IAPs individually
i configure one and add the second one third one... so that roaming is seamless...
but i can't roaming between one and the second one
my notebook is connect with one the IAP and i walked away from the IAP i was sitting close to the second IAP it is also connected to the same ap
Guru Elite

Re: the IAP can't roaming

The client, NOT the AP determines what access point it is connected to. It is up to the client device to say that the first AP signal is so bad that it must connect to the second.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

How much input signal is not well known

between the AP and clients
Aruba

Run a free utility such as inSSIDer to give you a snapshot of signal strength from each of the IAPs. Compare the one you are standing beside with the one 'far away'

Depending on your wireless NIC there might be a roaming aggressiveness setting. There is on my intel centrino.

Roaming Aggressiveness
This setting allows you to define how aggressively your Wi-Fi client roams to improve connection to an access point. Click Use default value to balance between not roaming and performance.

Lowest: Your wireless client will not roam. Only significant link quality degradation causes it to roam to another access point.
Medium-Low/Medium-High: Allow Roaming.
Medium: Balanced setting between not roaming and performance.
Highest: Your Wi-Fi client continuously tracks the link quality. If any degradation occurs, it tries to find and roam to a better access point.

Source
Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------
-------------------------------------------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Frequent Contributor II

Does the AP have any say in encouraging or forcing a client to roam. For example I had over 100 clients connected to one IAP near the back of a large meeting room and only 5 clients connected to an IAP in the front of the room. Needless to say the performance was slow on the overtaxed IAP. Is there some feature (ARM, etc) that would help to load balance the clients among the IAP's?

Thanks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: