AirWave and Network Management

Frequent Contributor I

AccessPoints Monitoring with SNMPv3

AccessPoints and SNMPv3

Postby mtraettner on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:05 pm
Hello,

today i want to connect the Arube AccessPoints with Alcatel OmniVista. I have configured a "AP SNMP profile" and a "AP SNMP user profile". This is bound to Virtual AP.

The Problem is that OmniVista could not poll the APs. There are any who has used OmniVista to Monitor the AccessPoints with SNMPv3?

ap snmp-user-profile "AP_SNMP_User_profile_Test"
user-name "OmniVista"
auth-prot md5
auth-passwd xxxxx
priv-passwd xxxxx
!
ap snmp-profile "AP_SNMP_Profile_Test"
snmp-user "AP_SNMP_User_profile_Test"
!
ap-group "Test"
virtual-ap "Test"
snmp-profile "AP_SNMP_Profile_Test"

Best Regards
Regular Contributor I

Re: AccessPoints Monitoring with SNMPv3

AWMS and OV3600 require that the Auth Protocol be SHA.

If you plan to use WMS offload, the Auth and Priv passwords must be set to the same value because the "wms offload" command only accepts a single password.
Guru Elite

AP SNMP configuration

if I read this right, you want to poll the APs themselves, NOT the controller via SNMP. Depending on what version of ArubaOS you are running, the ability to directly poll APs via SNMP has been removed, even though the configuration elements remain. If you are on ArubaOS 3.3.2.x, the elements are there, but they do not do anything. They do not allow you to poll the APs directly. You should be able to get all the information by polling the controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

OmniVista polls the controllers

The OmniVista (like the AWMS) gets its data by polling the controllers. It doesn't ever do snmp polling directly of APs. I would recommend this:

1. Set up an snmpv3 user on a controller
2. In the OmniVista, add your controller on the Device Setup -> Add page. Be sure to include snmp and cli credentials.

After that the OV will discover the APs, and they will show up in the New Devices list. From there you can add them to a group and folder, and the OV will begin monitoring them.

- Dan
Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

yes i wan t monitor the AccessPoints via SNMP. I understood that the APs not accessible via SNMP, but what do you mean with "and they will show up in the New Devices list". Do you mean the Topologie Window? There i can`t see any Access-Points. The Controller are Monitored very well on OmniVista.

Best Regards
New Contributor

Using SNMP with the controller.

I have been trying to do exactly this to interface my aruba controller into the Cacti monitoring system but it seems to me that I would need to process the outputs of two tables in order to get both the AP info and the AP performance. This means I can not grab the info directly but need to write a script to make the snmp calls and then glue the tables together. I am assuming that the position in the tables are the same so that the 3rd entry in the wlsxWlanAPTable refers to the same AP as the 3rd entry in wlsxWlanAPStatsTable.

Is there a better way to get the name, ip address, and statics of a particular AP?

Mark

P.S. More info of what I am trying to do is in the Monitoring Aruba APs with cacti question.

Aruba

what do you mean with "and they will show up in the New Devices list". Do you mean the Topologie Window? There i can`t see any Access-Points. The Controller are Monitored very well on OmniVista.

When OmniVista polls controllers, one of the things it checks for is APs that are associated to the controller. When it finds them it will usually add them in New Devices, and it's also possible for them be assigned automatically to an OV group and folder.

Are any of your APs added to the OV? If they're not, then something is either strangely configured or something is not working correctly. A couple of questions:

1. In the OV Group that your controllers are in, if you go to the Basic tab, do you see that Thin AP Discovery polling is enabled?

2. Can you send me the output of this command:

Thanks,

Dan
Regular Contributor I

Just to confirm, are you running OV3600 or the OmniVista Mobility Management System? We are assuming OV3600.
Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

FromTechnical Support. From the code 3.x due to architecture change you would not be able to discover any APs. Only what you can do is to discover Controllers.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Best Regards
Aruba

Which product?

What product is it that can only show controllers? I'm certain that the OmniVista 3600 (which an OEMed version of the AirWave software) can monitor the APs as well.

Thanks,

Dan