AirWave and Network Management

Occasional Contributor II

Bandwidth and MB Used ?

I have a question regarding the "Bandwidth" and "MB used" data in Airwave. Does it include overhead data (L2 - L4)? Or is only user data?

I'm asking because we would like to be able to localize clients generating lots of small packets (users playing online games). They are generating lots of overhead compared to other users and it should be possible to localize them, if the BW-data includes overhead.

Regards
Michael
Aruba

Re: Bandwidth and MB Used ?

The bandwidth numbers that we report are whatever we get from the device we're monitoring. Different device types report it differently.

In most cases, including Aruba, bandwidth values do not include L2 - L4 data. I believe that Cisco's autonomous APs do include it.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Bandwidth and MB Used ?

The bandwidth numbers that we report are whatever we get from the device we're monitoring. Different device types report it differently.
In most cases, including Aruba, bandwidth values do not include L2 - L4 data. I believe that Cisco's autonomous APs do include it.

Ok, thanks for the answer!

But if the AP's don't include overhead data, it could be difficult to find a client generating lots of small packets. It could use a lot of airtime, but only a small amount of bandwidth as shown in Airwave. Right?

Regards
Michael
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: