AirWave and Network Management

Occasional Contributor II

SNMPV3 - Airwave and Controller in different timezones

My Airwave (7.1.2) server is in GMT -6 timezone and a Aruba 2400 (3.4.3.2) in GMT -5 timezone. I have SNMPV3 configured on both devices with SHA and DES1 credentials. I keep getting the following error:

Jun 7 17:43:36 snmp: <301134> |snmp| SNMP V3 Message parse error: Not in life time window failure: Possible Privacy password mismatch. 663
Jun 7 17:49:31 snmp: <301134> |snmp| SNMP V3 Message parse error: Authentication parameters don't match: Possible Privacy password mismatch. 644

Could timezones have an issue here?

Thanks.
-Robin-
Guru Elite

Re: SNMPV3 - Airwave and Controller in different timezones

This would seem to be a cosmetic error with the way that version of Airwave Polls the controller via SNMPv3. Is Airwave getting the data from the controller currently over SNMPv3 consistently?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

The clocks are set correctly on both devices, right? So when 1 says 2pm, the other says 1pm? If that's the case then the timezones shouldn't matter. In fact, I have just set up an AirWave server monitoring a controller whose clock is a day behind, and it's working fine.

The s3w command is useful for testing snmpv3 connectivity. Just find the controller's id (perhaps by going to the monitoring page and looking at the id value in your browser's url bar), and run the command like this:

It will do an snmpwalk to your controller using the snmp creds that you've defined for the device in AirWave.

Example:

# s3w 232
Walking Aruba3400 with this command:
/opt/airwave/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u dancomfort -A dancomfort -a md5 -l AuthPriv -X dancomfort 10.51.3.120:161 sysName

RFC1213-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: "Aruba3400"

If you get back results but the controller is down according to AirWave, then that's something that we should probably investigate for you. If you get a timeout or some other message, then:

- the credentials/protocols you've added to AirWave are wrong (interestingly, I notice that one of the messages you shared with us is "Authentication parameters don't match: Possible Privacy password mismatch"), or
- there's some other setup problem
Aruba

Fix in AirWave 7.3?

Colin and I have discovered that this looks exactly like a known issue (DE8277 in our tracking system), and that there's a fix in AirWave 7.3.

We expect 7.3 to be generally available the week of June 13, and there's a beta available today if you're interested.
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks guys for your posts.

Just to clarify, the errors I listed were from the controller logs. I've been getting current status of the controller on Airwave consistently. It's the errors on the controller that bother me. When I poll the controller in Airwave, I get
"Not in life time window failure: Possible Privacy password mismatch" error on the controller every time.

The time for both devices are correct other than the different timezones - they use the same ntp server.

s3w to the controller gives me the expected result of showing the controller name. So looks like the snmpwalk is successful.

So I guess I need to wait until 7.3 to see if the behaviour disapears. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
-Robin-
Guru Elite

Yes, the controller is where the message is observed.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: