AirWave and Network Management

jny
Occasional Contributor I

Searching via BSSID?

Something I come across a lot, is the lack of being able to find an (Aruba) AP via BSSID when searching in Airwave.

We've had a variety of situations where I can get a BSSID of "one of our APs" - and need to determine what AP it belongs to. This shows up in multiple situations, most notably when a client can associate with an AP, but then fails to get farther.

Another situation is where a user is reporting bad performance, but is sitting by a window, so could be associating with an AP in a couple neighboring line-of-sight buildings besides their own (and different floors in all buildings).

Am I missing the "search by SSID" prefernece somewhere, or is this something I need to put in as a "feature request?"

I'm also not seeing a place on the master controller to look for BSSIDs either, but Airwave does display the radio mac addys when you look at an individual AP, so it's in that database somewhere. Help?

Currently running Airwave 7.2.4.

Thanks in advance,
-jny
Guru Elite

Re: Searching via BSSID?

You can certainly search for the BSSID of a rogue access point:

The best thing to do to troubleshoot a client is to turn on user debugging on the Aruba controller and make sure that syslog as well as snmp traps point to Airwave, so you can get all the messages in the "Device Events" portion of the device record:

You of course have to upgrade to the latest Airwave to get both of those features.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

jny
Occasional Contributor I

Slightly different question than the one you answered:

I want to find an Aruba AP by BSSID. A valid, we-stuck-it-on-the-wall, Aruba AP. :)

IOW - A client having trouble will tell me "I've associated with this BSSID" - I need to figure out which valid AP it belongs to.

So far, it's a fail for me. It'll find Rogue (or neighbor) BSSIDs from search just fine. But not the BSSID of one of our APs (to tell me which AP it is).

Make sense? I really don't want to have to define and run a report for something that Airwave so obviously knows. Heck - I could just create an inventory and grep from it, but that seems silly when Airwave has the BSSIDs of every AP in it's database. I just can't search for it.

-jny
Guru Elite

I am wrong. In the latest version of AMP, We CAN search via BSSID of AMP APs in the AMP search box. If you do know the user that is having the issue, however, that info will also be in the device events which will have both the BSSID as well as the AP that user attempted to associate to. The device events are searchable for that BSSID, as well. Your worklow would be to find the end-user device that is having problems in Airwave and go down to Device Events to get the details.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

jny
Occasional Contributor I

So which latest would this be? 7.3.5?
That would be the simple thing I'm looking for. thanks!

-jny

Guru Elite

Yes.

Colin Joseph

jny
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. :)