AirWave and Network Management

Regular Contributor I

VisualRF setup and usage

I just want to make sure I have a good understanding of the actual purpose of this.

You can import your layout and generate signal (and other) maps to show your coverage, correct?

I assume this means you will have to use the tool to mark your walls and materials used - similar to other prediction and survey tools.

How does this integrate with the actual Airwave tool?

I have 160-170 different controllers - each representing a separate location (and network). If I wanted to use this for each location (and I may not), do I need to have any special groups created in Airwave, or is there a way to associate a controller (and or APs) to a certain map?

Here's the actual problem:
I have the 160-170 locations. I believe I have CAD drawings (blueprints) of each location.

Before the upgrade to Aruba, we used Cisco and the wireless system was more of a "luxury" - AP locations were determined more by finding open spaces, or spots closest to where the majority of users were going to be sitting. Some of these sites and installations go back to 2001. Site surveys were unheard of, and tools and utilities were either not around, or prohibitively expensive.....so basically we just guessed.

Now the push is to eliminate wiring and ensure that we have suffient wireless coverage in each location - gotta make sure those iPads and other devices can connect from anywhere in our offices!

Can I leverage VisualRF to do this, or should I be looking into possibly buying a (several) handheld analyzers, laptop programs, or something else?
Aruba

Re: VisualRF setup and usage

Correct.

You don't have to, but it can help, especially with elevator shafts and other things that have a significant impact on signals.

AirWave continually gathers RF data from controllers and APs and sends data to VisualRF. VisualRF uses the data to create up-to-date heatmaps, and to locate users and rogues.

do I need to have any special groups created in Airwave, or is there a way to associate a controller (and or APs) to a certain map?

You don't need to create separate groups for VisualRF to work well.

There's not a way to associate a controller to a floorplan, but if you already have floorplans on the controllers they can be exported and then imported into VisualRF.

Can I leverage VisualRF to do this, or should I be looking into possibly buying a (several) handheld analyzers, laptop programs, or something else?

VisualRF can help. In addition, we have a spectrum analyzer built in to our 802.11n APs to provide graphical views of RF quality, utilization and availability.
Regular Contributor I

Re: VisualRF setup and usage

Thanks Dan....helpful as always.

And more and more it helps to reinforce that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the Aruba and Airwave functions and capabilities.

I wasn't aware that floorplans could be added to controllers.

If I can't associate controllers to floorplans, how will Airwave be able to locate the users, create heat maps, etc? I have ~170 different controllers, each representing a physically separate location (spanning several different states).

As of now the VisualRF engine isn't even running, and it's probably best if I leave it that way until I'm more familiar (comfortable) with the other functions of Airwave. Still going through the user guide and trying to figure what everything does!

At the very least it sounds like we may be able to leverage VisualRF to provide some of what we are looking for. The rest may require actual site visits.

I was aware of the spectrum analysis being built-in to the APs, but unfortunately our project budget wasn't large enough to include the RFprotect licenses.

From the upper level management perspective, we've managed to have a wi-fi deployment for the past 8-9 years without any of these "fancy" tools, so of course the assumptions (and expectations) are that we still don't need them. I'm lucky to have what I have....and still have a job.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: