Aruba Apps

last person joined: 3 days ago 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Utilities : Scan results are not working when device is upgraded to Marshmallow

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Utilities : Scan results are not working when device is upgraded to Marshmallow

Posted Jul 05, 2016 01:13 AM

When googled about the same, I found out that in Marshmallow scan results comes only when GPS is enabled.

When I enabled the GPS is in the device, I was able to see the scan result.

More details @ https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=185370

• 2.  RE: Aruba Utilities : Scan results are not working when device is upgraded to Marshmallow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2016 11:25 AM

Hello Sathwik,

You are quite right.  I believe this is by design - Google now bundles Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning with GPS in the "location" permission.  There's only one user-permission to enable location and it controls all these functions.

The Android argument is for user-privacy.  An app with access to Wi-Fi scans can find the device's location from the list of BSSIDs:  similar to GPS in this regard.

There's nothing I can do in the app to change this, unfortunately - if you want Wi-Fi scanning to work, you have to enable GPS.

Peter