Aruba Apps

last person joined: yesterday 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115

Posted Sep 27, 2014 02:54 PM

Trying to get IPSEC tunnels configured between a 7210 controller and AP-115's.  I enable control plane security and the AP's reboot as expected but they still come up showing IPSEC disabled under monitoring for all AP's.  It appears that the controller has a factory installed certficate and all of the AP's are showing in the whitelist with a factory certified certificate.  Not sure what step I am missing here.  I am new to Aruba.

Thanks for any direction.

Craig

• 2.  RE: Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 27, 2014 03:33 PM
    To do IPSEC tunnels you would need to provision them as RAPs, which requires enabling the VPN Server on the controller and creating a ip pool for them to use.

• 3.  RE: Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115

Posted Sep 27, 2014 04:08 PM

Ok-

So I guess that I misunderstood the control plane security.  With that enabled it is encrypting traffic between the AP and the controller just not doing so via an IPSEC tunnel?  Or is the control plane security something else entirely.

Thank you,

Craig

• 4.  RE: Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115

Posted Sep 27, 2014 05:03 PM
    CPSEC doesn't change the standard of using a GRE tunnel to send traffic. Basically it allows the controller to keep a whitelist of allowed campus APs that can connect to the controller, and anything not on the whitelist won't be allowed to connect and be provisioned.

• 5.  RE: Control Plane Security between Aruba7210 and AP-115

Posted Dec 24, 2014 04:06 AM

from documentation it does use IPsec for the control traffic, but not the client traffic, that indeed remains GRE unless provisioned as RAP.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-control-plane-security-How-does-one-configure-verify-it/ta-p/174912