Aruba Apps

last person joined: yesterday 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Is Airwave Necessary?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is Airwave Necessary?

Posted Jun 15, 2017 04:02 PM

Hello all,

I am currently using 22 switches and about 55 APs. I normally manage the switches directly and the APs using the Instant AP for whatever group I need. I just find it faster and easier to do things directly. 

I also have Airwave running but have not really found any true use or purpose for it. It also appears to have many problems that I have not been able to find answers for.

My questions revolved around the necessity for Airwave - Do I really need it? What if I just powered it off and removed it from the system? What is the good, the bad, and the ugly in keeping it vs getting rid of it? Etc.

One reason for getting rid of it that the license renewal is coming up and since I work for a non-profit, it would be nice not to have to spend the money for something that appears to be trivial and of no real use to us.

I greatly appreciate all comments!

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 04:21 PM
    Airwave is normally for historical information, and to be able to leverage that information to troubleshoot or plan... You should talk to your salesperson to understand the role Airwave would specifically play in your network.

• 3.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 06:41 AM

Hi,

Below is basic descripton what Airwave can do.It is a monitor and managment tool, where we could manage/montior most of different vendor products.

VisualRF:

We have VisualRF feature where we could upload floor maps and view clients/ rogue APs locations and also track clients location history.

Triggers& Alerts;

We could set different trigger condtions, when that particular condition meets , airwave will tirgger an alert and send email and also forward alert to exteranal NMS server.

RAPIDs

We could set customized rules based on our requeirment to detect wired/wireless Rogue APs in your network.

Reports:

We have different type of reports definiton which is used to get historical data in pdf, csv and excel format.

We have Clarity, AppRF,RF performance,UCC features which is very useful to track client/network usage history and troubleshoot client and network related problems.

Regards,

Pavan

• 4.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

Posted Jun 16, 2017 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info, but we don't really use any kind of reporting or alerts and such. 

If I just powered off Airwave, would it cause any adverse effects to the switches or APs? 

As things are right now, everything appears to working correctly. I rarely do anything at all with Airwave, other than log in to it occassionally to try to make sense out of why it is there.

Thanks again!

• 5.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 10:30 AM

Hi,

Shutting down Airwave does not effect your wired/wireless network but I would recommand to have Airwave server up and running through which you could monitor/manage your network on single click.As you mentioned that Airwave license is getting expired and your organization does not have any budget to purchase. I would recommand to talk to your accout's Aruba sales team they may help in getting you license.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query give kudos:)

• 6.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

Posted Jun 20, 2017 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info! I am going to try shutting it down for a few days and see if there are any measurable effects. 

• 7.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 05:42 PM

I'm running a pretty simple lab environment of a 7210 controller and 8pcs AP325.  I ran for months without AirWave and only recently installed and connected it.  It seems like AirWave is primarily a monitoring point for information that is available directly from the equipment it is reading.

• 8.  RE: Is Airwave Necessary?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2017 05:05 AM

Hi,

Airwave is not just a monitoring server , we could manage the network aswell.

We could make all configuraiton changes from Airwave and push to the controllers/IAPs/Switches.

Regards,

Pavan