Aruba Apps

last person joined: yesterday 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Verifying Channels With Many Access Points

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Verifying Channels With Many Access Points

Posted Jan 28, 2018 12:54 PM
    I have a site with 35 AP-205’s that register to an Arube 6000 controller. The site has had some wifi issues where tablets are dropping connection in certain places and when I look at the blue print the issues are happening in an area near a 275 outdoors AP. I have verified that the 205’s are actually conducting at 12-15 dB in that area while the 275 AP is conducting at 22-25 dB. The problem area is actually on the 2nd floor and is actually physically close to the 275 AP. Although I feel the power of the 275 is causing issues and I plan to turn it off and test, I want to make sure the issue isnt due to multiple 205’s being on the same channel. I used the “show ap details” command and see that two 205’s are on 802.11g channel 11 which I heard can be a problem in setups with lots of AP’s. Whats the rule of thumb for Aruba AP’s and should each AP be on a different channel?

• 2.  RE: Verifying Channels With Many Access Points
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2018 01:14 PM

Honestly, there are only 3 802.11b/g channels, 1, 6 and 11, so there are not many to choose from.

To verify what access points are in what area, download Aruba Utilities from the Android Store for an Android phone and see what access points you can see from your phone:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.arubautilities&hl=en

Seeing more than one access point on the same channel is not bad, as it is the level of traffic they are handling that would determine how bad the cochannel interference affects your clients.

I would make sure:

- You are using 20 mhz channels

- you have drop broadcast and unknown multicast enabled on all of your Virtual APs...Broadcasts are the enemy of wireless and cause disconnects

After you have done those two things, you can then look at how many access points are on what channels.

• 3.  RE: Verifying Channels With Many Access Points

Posted Jan 28, 2018 09:56 PM
    Whats your take on Interface? I used the show monitor ap command on the 275 and saw around 10 interfering SSID’s I dont know anything about. Im sure the long range makes it easier to see Networks of other businesses further away that a 205 otherwise would not see. Could the interface cause dropped connections or maybe poor performance?

• 4.  RE: Verifying Channels With Many Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2018 10:42 PM

It could, but just merely being able to see an AP advertising its presence does not always cause interference.