Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

New Contributor

Aruba Instant APs and Fujitsu Lifebooks

[ Edited ]

We have a customer that uses Fujitsu Lifebooks primarily, but also uses a small handful of devices from other vendors.  We recently replaced their aging 3com APs with Aruba IAP 105s.  Since the 105s were installed, our site contact has complained to us that the Lifebooks commonly drop connections, experience "freezing" and slowness and generally provide a poor end-user experience to the users.  She says that other devices don't seem to have these problems.  She also indicated that they had similar connectivity problems when the 3com equipment was in place, but it wasn't just limited to the Lifebooks.  

We also manage this customer's wired and server environments.  Troubleshooting steps we have undertaken:

-  Looked at the RF metrics from the IAP command line. There is little overall RF interference in the area.

-  Manually set channels to mitigate possible heavy interference near 1 access point.  This made no discernible difference in connection quality either way.  

-  Updated Wifi NIC drivers on the Lifebooks to the latest versions.  This made no discernible difference either.  

Everything seems to suggest that either there is a fundamental "dislike" between the Aruba gear and the Lifebook NICs, or perhaps that the Lifebooks are just generally inferior.  Has anyone else had issues with Fujitsu Lifebooks and Aruba APs?  

MVP

Re: Aruba Instant APs and Fujitsu Lifebooks

What chipset is in your Lifebooks?  We had the same problem for months.  If you search in this forum for “sticky clients” you will find some solutions.  If you don’t have Intel NIC in your Lifebook, replace it with Intel NIC, an easy $20 fix, but void the warranty.  You can tweak “the Local Probe Request Threshold (dB)” in wlan ssid-profile.  Try with 20 dB first and increase it if necessary.   I found this is the only parameter that Fujitsu Lifebook response to. 

Good luck!

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
New Contributor

Re: Aruba Instant APs and Fujitsu Lifebooks

Almost realized I'd left this thread for dead, but wanted to revive it and pass along some observations.  

The chipset is an Atheros AR5006X with dual-band radios.  Regardless of what I set the Band Steering mode to in the Aruba Instant interface, the NIC will "flop" between 5GHz and 2.4GHz about every 5-10 minutes, with no real explanation as to why.  

I tested this with our customer standing about 15 feet away from an AP and watched it flop between the spectrums several times within about 15 minutes.  When it flops, about 1/3 of the time it drops connectivity for about 10 seconds; other times network activity hangs for about the same amount of time.  This was after we installed the latest Atheros drivers from Fujitsu (7.7.0.x).  

ngutri wrote:

You can tweak “the Local Probe Request Threshold (dB)” in wlan ssid-profile.  Try with 20 dB first and increase it if necessary.   I found this is the only parameter that Fujitsu Lifebook response to. 

Good luck!

I was not able to figure out how to do this in the Instant interface, if it can be done at all.  The Instant CLI does not offer commands for editing a configuration, only showing configuration, metrics etc.  If it is possible and I am simply not seeing how, please let me know.

Our workaround for now was to disable 5 GHz operation in the SSID, but of course that kind of defeats the purpose and benefit of having a dual-band access point.  As I learn more I will relate it here.  

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: