Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

Convert AP-325 to IAP-325 (almost done, help needed)

My orginal post confirmed that the both AP-325 and IAP-325 have the same hardware. This has encouraged me to study further on how to accomplish the conversion.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/AP-325-vs-IAP-325-Hardware-Difference/td-p/282987

32x has a 4MB flash and a 128MB flash. They are organised as follows:

nand0:0 (nand 0)

32MB  aos0

32MB  aos1 (this is the factory default FW)

64MB  cache

nand0:1 (nand 1)

4MB  nvram

At the OS level, they are accessible via

mtd0 nvram

mtd1 aos0

mtd2 aos1

ubi2:ubifs cache

So, the difference between an AP and an IAP resides in the nvram. The only thing now stops me from converting an AP to an IAP successfully is that I don't have a dump of the 4 MB flash of an IAP because I don't have a spare IAP in the lab at the moment.

If anyone has a IAP-325 and is also interested in coverting an AP to IAP (I know it is unsupported by Aruba but it shouldn't stopping us from testing in a lab environment), please message me. I will send you the instructions on how to extract the nvram providing you have serial console access to the IAP.

On a side note though, I think Aruba should be more open and allows its customers to convert AP / IAP freely because other vendors do.

Aruba

Re: Convert AP-325 to IAP-325 (almost done, help needed)

There are potential regulatory implications when converting an (unrestricted) AP to the equivalent IAP product.

As you may know, our IAP products have some restrictions:

-JP (Japan), -IL (Israel), -EG (Egypt), -US (United States) and -RW (rest of world).

Properly encoding this restriction is critical for Instant operation, and something that can and should only be done by Aruba supply chain personel.

/Onno

[ Edited ]

I guess it is all because AP has no regulatory domain coded in the nvram, but why? If IAPs are restricted based on regions, there is no reason that this should not be done for APs. In fact, all wireless stations should comply with RF restrictions of specific country.

Anyway, can someone with an IAP (any recent IAPs, no need to be 325) do the following:

1. connect AP via serial cable using putty / minicom

2. power on AP

3. hit enter within 2 seconds when it says "Hit <Enter> to stop autoboot: 2"

4. once "apboot>" appears

nand device 1
nand dump 0x390000

This produces a small screen dump. Please message me the dump. IAP has an additional radio section which contains the regulatory domain info, that is the only thing differentiate AP/IAP (less than 20 bytes).

Aruba

APs are restricted by the controller, which (as IAPs) comes in -US/JP/IL/EG/RW flavors.

Without a controller and valid regulatory config, an AP does not turn on its radios.

/Onno

I know APs are restricted by controller. But IAP can also be used as CAP and restricted by controller. There is nothing technically or by regulations that stops Aruba from implementing the same IAP regions on AP.

To me there shouldn't any AP model at all. It should all be IAP. Let the customers decide whether to use a controller or the IAP virtual controller.

Aruba

You're right (and we're actually going that route), but it means that we will have to impose regional restrictions (and different orderable part numbers) for AP as well. There's an advantage having just one physical product (AP) that can ship worldwide. With IAP or a "combo" AP, we will not have that ability.

/Onno

Glad to hear you guys are moving down the direction. Can you help me on this issue? Just PM you.

Aruba

I'm not sure why this is an "issue".

I'm sorry, but we cannot support AP to IAP conversion "in the field" given the regulatory concerns mentioned here.

What is the problem you're trying to fix here?

/Onno

I got a few APs that were decommissioned from a closed site. Our main site uses IAPs. If I can convert the APs to IAPs, I can add them to the cluster. The decommissioned controller only has a small number of licences which is less than the number of IAPs and APs combined.

Aruba

You can try to work withyour Aruba account team to see if they can be exchanged for IAP units.

/Onno
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: