Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

Having weird DNS issues since update to firmware 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.9_51442

We have 81 Aruba 225 IAP's in a cluster. We have a VLAN setup for our wireless traffic and our wired traffic runs on a different VLAN. Before I updated our firmware to version  6.4.2.6-4.1.1.9_51442, everything worked fine, but now I am unable to resolve DNS in our reverse lookup zone, forward lookup works fine. Here is the kicker... if I cable the PC in, everything works fine. Our VLANS are routed on a layer 3 switch, no filtering or anything, it just routes all traffic between VLAN's. Everything else works fine: Internet, Forward DNS lookup, ping, etc... any ideas???

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Having weird DNS issues since update to firmware 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.9_51442

Hi

i'm having a similar problem after upgrading our IAP 115's to this version. We are only a small setup with 9 APs, no vLan and a simple setup. I did the upgrade on Monday evening and on Tuesday had masses of Staff telling me they couldn't access network drives, printers or certain websites! After investigation I found that laptops where not indentifing the network as a private/domain network and thus getting a public profile and public firewall. This was blocking everything and causing the issues. So I tried plugging a laptop in and bang everything worked with the laptop now saying it was on a domain network. This rules out any server issues etc. So to rule out OS I tired the same thing Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 all with the same results. Like yourself I thought DNS and restarted the domain controller to be on the safe side. I also updated all of i the laptops drivers to the latest versions etc. Still no joy. It has to be this firmware upgrade causing the issue. So I today I contacted support to be told sorry your IAPs are more than 90 old and thus you need to buy a care package before we will investigate. I thought these IAPs came with a lifetime warranty! Furthermore this issue has been created by their firmware upgrade and thus not my fault so they should forget warranties and fix it fast, I'm now trying to work out how to downgrade the IAPs. Any one else with these issues after the upgrade or any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

EDIT:

Instant 4.1.1.10 has been released.  Please upgrade to that version of code to sidestep any issues with 4.1.1.9

Release Notes attached

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I've sent you a PM. Hopefully I can then downgrade and get this working again tomorrow.

Guru Elite

rmedeiros wrote:

We have 81 Aruba 225 IAP's in a cluster. We have a VLAN setup for our wireless traffic and our wired traffic runs on a different VLAN. Before I updated our firmware to version  6.4.2.6-4.1.1.9_51442, everything worked fine, but now I am unable to resolve DNS in our reverse lookup zone, forward lookup works fine. Here is the kicker... if I cable the PC in, everything works fine. Our VLANS are routed on a layer 3 switch, no filtering or anything, it just routes all traffic between VLAN's. Everything else works fine: Internet, Forward DNS lookup, ping, etc... any ideas???

rmedeiros,

You will have to downgrade to avoid the issue we are investigating.  Please PM me if you need a specific version of code to downgrade your IAP 225 to..

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thank you for your help with this yesterday. I can confirm downgrading to 4.1.1.8 has fixed the problem.

I would suggest Aruba remove this buggy firmware, until they get the issue worked out. Also, since our total Aruba AP IAP population is over 600... I really hope I dont have to go to each one and factory reset it to go back to a previous firmware!!!

Here are my symptoms, so others do not have such a hard time figuring out that the Aruba firmware is causing the issue... I will also notify other state, county and city agencies as well as our school districts, so they are aware not to upgrade to this version of firmware due to the issues that it causes.

1. While connected to the wireless users get prompted to authenticate to all server shares

2. The content of some network shares will be missing

3. You will get NSLookup results using the server hostname and no results if using IP

4. If you cable in... all of your problems will go away!

Just wondering.... will the early release version "ArubaInstant_Centaurus_6.4.3.1-4.2.0.0_51112" fix my issue or do I need to go backwards?

Guru Elite

It is advised to go back to what you upgraded from or 4.1.1.8.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: