Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

IAP-105 Radius Authentication Problem

I have seen a few other postings similar to this but none of the ideas presented have helped (not that there was ever a real solution or fix presented on those posts....just sayin').

I have set up two IAP-105 APs (maybe adding more later if this can be fixed). Only one of the APs will authenticate to Radius (Win 2003 IAS) at a time and that AP has to also be the Master AP which hosts the virtual controller. If the working AP is taken down and the other AP takes over the VC role then it WILL also authenticate properly. However, when both APs are powered on at the same time only the master AP will authenticate. Our guest wireless works fine on both APs at all times. If I try to authenticate near the non-master AP "trying to authenticate" is all I will see (for as long as I remain in the vicinity). If I take that laptop and walk toward the VC hosting master AP the signal will be passed to that AP and the login will be authenticated and the connection completes.

Please help...we have saved no $$$ with this purchase if we take into consideration the amount of lost time trying to get this "easier than toast"  (yeah right!) wifi solution working.

So, allowing each AP to be the master on its own has not solved the problem as stated in several other posts. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Guru Elite

Re: IAP-105 Radius Authentication Problem

Please Enable Radius Proxy.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Radius Proxy IS and HAS been enabled throughout.

I don't know if this is related but when using telnet with PuTTY to the VC most attempts to "dig around" or generally run commands generate this message: % Parse error

then goes back to the APname#  prompt.

Guru Elite

Do you have the latest version of the firmware?

What does the radius server say the source ip address of the messages are?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

6.1.2.3-2.0.0.4_32946.

Successful or access denied authentication is logged in event viewer giving the NAS-IP-Address = the internal IP of the virtual contoller. The NAS-Identifier is the IP of the IAP-105 that is hosting the VC.  It appears that ONLY messages from the VC and its hosting AP are showing up in Event Viewer. When the other AP was hosting the VC it would generate messages to the Radius server which makes sense since it worked when it was the only AP on the network. Currently no new messages have been generated by the non-hosting AP since it lost the VC role.

Guru Elite

What is your remote access policy rule?  You should be seeing failures, as well as successes in the event viewer, under SYSTEM if this is IAS.  If not, you might want to open a case so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

The only messages in system/IAS are generated when the AP and the VC are on the same device. There are messages from both APs but they are only from the times when the particular AP was the VC. It's as though the non-hosting AP is not communicating with the VC.

Should we consider rolling back to the previous firmware? Or reloading the current one?

We have a case open with Aruba support but UNLESS I call them they are slow to respond. They called last night after we had closed. I might have to call them after I return from lunch.

Guru Elite

Okay, last question.  Do you have a static ip address configured as the "Virtual Controller address"?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: