Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Contributor I

IAP-105 won't join cluster

Hi,

Having a stange issue with two IAP clusters at two different sites.  At both locations, I have one IAP which is the VC.  One location, the VC is an IAP135, the other location, the VC is an IAP-105.

When I add another IAP-105 to the network, it doesn't join the cluster.  It appears to boot, and then all 3 lights (eth and two radio lights) turn red.  We are running code ArubaInstant_Orion_6.2.0.0-3.2.0.0_36559, whihc has been working fine at a site with all IAP-135s.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this, btw I've tried the latest version of 6.1 code, and I have the same problem.

Thanks

MVP

Re: IAP-105 won't join cluster

The usual questions:

Are the new access points on the same VLAN?

Do you see the SSID "Instant" in the air?

Have you tried connecting to the console port to watch the process?

Have you tried pre-loading the same code-rev as the operating devices on the new iAPs?

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Aruba

Just to be sure, do you have autojoin enabled on the virtual controller:

iap-autojoin.jpg

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Regular Contributor II

With "Auto Join" enabled on the Virtual Controller, shouldn't the new IAP (assuming it's on the same VLAN) download it's new image from the Virtual Controller (assuming the new IAP is the same Model as the VC). Should you have to manually do this? 

Secondly, if I manually assign a Static IP Address to the 1st IAP on the Network, can I assume that it will become the VC? And I assume I would have to assign the same IP Address as the Virtual Controller IP Address on this IAP. Right? Or must it be a different IP Address?

Aruba

[ Edited ]

@eosuorah

- Yes if it is the same model, the IAP should upgrade from the virtual controller.

- No, each IAP needs a physical IP (either statically assigned or through DHCP).  You then need to establish a virtual controller IP.   This IP will bounce between IAPs, depending on which one is acting as the virtual controller.

ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Aruba

@wifi_guy

One other thing to consider for mixed IAP setups.   If the new IAP is of a different version than the virtual controller it will need to upgrade its firmware in one of two ways:

1) No AirWave

A different class/model IAP will have its image provided by the Aruba Cloud Server.   Make sure the new IAP can resolve and get out to the Internet.

2) In AirWave Managed Setup

If you have AirWave setup for your Instant cluster,  the images must be uploaded to AMP where IAPs of a different class/model will synchronize the software with AMP.  If you have not uploaded the new firmware to AMP, the new model IAP will not join the network.

ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Regular Contributor II

@clembo Thx for your response.

So this Virtual Controller IP needs to be configured on one of the IAPs right? And then shared amongst other IAPs should it go down right?

And this is configured under the Virtual Controller IP Address field?

clembo wrote:

@eosuorah

- Yes if it is the same model, the IAP should upgrade from the virtual controller.

- No, each IAP needs a physical IP (either statically assigned or through DHCP).  You then need to establish a virtual controller IP.   This IP will bounce between IAPs, depending on which one is acting as the virtual controller.

Contributor I

Clembo,

Regarding point 2.

If my VC is an IAP-135,  and my next AP to boot is an IAP-105,  if that IAP-105 doesn't join the cluster (as in my case), how do I point it to my Airwave server so that it can be upgraded ?

Regular Contributor II

@wifi_guy Image management using AirWave

If the multi-class IAP network is managed by AirWave, image upgrades can only be done through the AirWave UI. Users must upload IAP images for both classes on the AMP server. When new IAPs joining the network need to synchronize its software with that of the Virtual Controller, and the new IAP is of a different class, the image file for the new IAP is provided by AirWave. If the AMP does not have the proper image file, the new AP is not be able to join the network.

The Virtual Controller in Instant AP communicates with the AirWave server or Image server, depending on the user's configuration. If AirWave is not configured on the IAP, then the image is requested from the Image server. See “Configuring AirWave” on page 213 for steps on how to configure AirWave.

Regular Contributor II

@wifi_guy Reference the Instant AP user Guide (from Page 95) that might help you with your deployment.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: