Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

I have Aruba IAP 225's in my school, with 200Mbps bandwidth.  The speed of my MacBooks is great.  My PC's, however, are very slow.  They are running a download speed of less than 50Mbps, and upload of less than 20Mbps.  I have restarted the DNS server, AP's, and switches.  I have also restarted DNS and DHCP services.  The AP's have the latest update installed on them.  The PC's have the latest updates on their NIC cards.  Any ideas what would be causing the slowness on the PC's?  Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

What are you using for a speedtest?  There are many factors that affect the speed of devices under test.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for your reply!  I am running speedtest.net.

Guru Elite

Is it possible that your PCs are not 3-stream 802.11ac devices like macs?

Is it also possible that their drivers have not been updated to the latest like macs typically are?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

On those windows clients on the commandline, you can type "netsh wlan show interface" to see the receive and transmit rate, as well as the signal.  Paste the output into the window here.  Again, very few, if any windows clients are 3 stream 802.11ac.  The majority are 2-stream and some are even single stream...

Colin Joseph

Here you go:

Capture.PNG

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Those PCs have single-stream NIC cards (72 megs maximum) and they run only on the b/g/n band, which has more contention and is typically more highly utilized than the 802.11ac band.  They are competing with macs which frequently have three streams and run on the 802.11ac band (450 megs maximum).

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: