Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

IAP-277 Point-to-Point Link not failover against Ethernet Switch Wired Link failure.

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I have been tested Wireless Backup for in case of Primary Wired Link failure with IAP-277 "Point-to-Point Mesh Portal/Point setting" like as below diagram.

Failover.JPG

It does not work in case of failure of Wired Line.

My detail test procedures are like below.

1. first I start with (2)Backup Wireless Link is up status (not connect (1) Primary Wired Link yet at first time). PCs can ping each other. Ethernet Switch RSTP(Rapid STP) status is FWD/FWD on 1/24 port both switches.

-With basic/normal setting by wizard on SSID Portion It does not work frist time.

-if I change "On Broadcast Filtering option" from "ARP" to "Disabled" on SSID options, It start to work.

-Also if I enable STP option "Enable" on "Wired Profile", it works.

-I am not tested with both options enabled status. 

2.. If (1) Primary Wired Link is connected, PCs  can still ping each other. STP Port status are changed like below.

Left side switch:  1/23 FWD, 1/24 FWD

Right side switch: 1/23 FWD, 1/24 BLK

3. After Disconnecting (1)Primary Wired Link-making failure of Wired Link, PCs cannot ping. I have been waited around 5 Minute.

STP Port status of ethernet switches are like below.

Left side switch:  11/24 FWD

Right side switch: 1/24 FWD

Now only (2)Backup Wireless Link is up status. This is the problem point.

For the troubleshooting, I tried to 4. step belw.

4. After disconnect cable of (2)Backup Wirelss Link(Mesh Portal side of AP, Eth0)  short time and reconnect it again. PCs can ping start again.

What is my fault of my setting?

What kind of option on AP do I have check or change them?

Would you suggest some solution for this case?

Regards,

Moon-Kee Bahk

MVP

Re: IAP-277 Point-to-Point Link not failover against Ethernet Switch Wired Link failure.

With IAP this is going to be a problem, as there's a chance the IAP mesh point sees the VM/portal on the wire and comes up over the wire (even though the port is blocking, the point still gets it's IP address and as such won't come up as mesh). You would have try and make sure the POINT side on the wire is blocking all frames while the wired link is up. Outside of that, there's not much you can do as IAP doesn't have a way currently to ONLY work on mesh, it will try first the wired interface and if it gets an IP address on the wire, will not bring up the mesh.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

Re: IAP-277 Point-to-Point Link not failover against Ethernet Switch Wired Link failure.

Is it some kind of limitation of Mesh Portal/Point of IAP Series?

Do you have any workaround of this?

Aruba Employee

I am not sure if this back up scheme will really work, but there is a way to force an IAP to come up as a mesh point. That is done by enabling en0-bridging on the mesh point.
MVP

What Yan states will work, but it will require that the mesh point's ethernet interface be blocked, not the portals. In general, with any Aruba Mesh (Instant or AOS mesh), it's up to the wired infrastructure to do all port blocking, our mesh is all pure L2 and we have no monitoring intelligence to go into blocking mode or not. 

Jerrod Howard

I configure STP protocol on Ethernet Switch to block the port of Mesh/Point side connected.

After disconnect wired link, AP of Mesh/Portal side rebooted automatically and start sending traffic.

It take around 3 minutes. I am not sure it is working or not.

Thanks all of you guys.. 

MVP

3 min is about right for a link to come up if the link was not already up, for L2 to connect and STP to go from blocking to not lbocking Unfortunately, for AOS mesh, since it's purely L2 and there is no L3 or FO support, it's 100% up to the wired config to make it work, and users have had mixed success in getting it to work reliably.

Jerrod Howard
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: