Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

New Contributor

Manually name clients

Hello,

I just purchased two IAP-105's for demo purposes and so far I'm just kind of feeling my way around. I'm wondering if there is a way to manually name clients that are connected to the AP? Perhaps associate a MAC with a meaninful name? I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Thanks!

MVP

Re: Manually name clients

[ Edited ]

not possible

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

[ Edited ]

Editing my post, this is not possible at the moment.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

pboak81 wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased two IAP-105's for demo purposes and so far I'm just kind of feeling my way around. I'm wondering if there is a way to manually name clients that are connected to the AP? Perhaps associate a MAC with a meaninful name? I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no way to name CLIENTS in instant.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
New Contributor

Ok thanks for the response.

Occasional Contributor I

cjoseph wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no way to name CLIENTS in instant.

Hi - just checking - finally got my RAP155 up and running in my house and am slowly but surely adding to my IoT - and would love to name the devices myself (LR Sonos, DR Sonos, Nest, etc.)

Have there been any updates or additions that would make this possible?  Looks like I'm currently running 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.3_39227

Thanks

MVP

[ Edited ]

I believe if you name your clients correctly at the device level and upgrade to the latest firmware, you will see their names in the client list.

This is the output of an IAP-103 running 4.1.0.1 running on an open SSID.

Capture.JPG

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
New Contributor

Good day Pasquale! I have a quick question. I have a client running the latest firmware 6.3.1.8 - 4.0.0.7 and the IAP client list names are only showing "---" since it's initial install. I checked the Instant Aruba manuals and found nothing there which seems to tell me that it should happen automatically. Is there something that I need to check on the client's network since all clients connecting to the IAPs have their own device names but not showing up in Aruba? Thanks and have a great day. Cheers.

Best regards,

John

MVP

john.osorio wrote:

Good day Pasquale! I have a quick question. I have a client running the latest firmware 6.3.1.8 - 4.0.0.7 and the IAP client list names are only showing "---" since it's initial install. I checked the Instant Aruba manuals and found nothing there which seems to tell me that it should happen automatically. Is there something that I need to check on the client's network since all clients connecting to the IAPs have their own device names but not showing up in Aruba? Thanks and have a great day. Cheers.

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

It depends, if they are connecting to a protected SSID, such as WPA2, Instant will not see the names.

My post above is an example of a customer of mine which works. It picked up the client name configured on the device (OPEN SSID).

It was also running a newer firmware version than what you are running.

If you have access to the support site, I suggest you upgrade to 4.1.1.0 and see if things change, again only on an Open SSID

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
New Contributor

Thanks Pasquale I'll give it a test cheers :)

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: