Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Contributor I

Ping and discover wireless clients.

Hi,

I have installed two Iap-105's in one of our branch offices, they seem to work well.

The one thing I dont understand is that I cannot ping any of the wireless clients from the wired network.

I have used GFI Languard for quite a while to see who is on the network from at any given time. It cannot see any of the wireless clients either.

I am not pinging by name I am using the IP address that I see the AP has assigned each client.

Of course it is on a different subnet eg .

Office subnet would be 192.168.3.xxx/24 and WIreless clients are given adresses by AP's DHCP server like 192.168.15.xxx/24.

Should I be able to ping them or not?

Is there a way to discover them on the network with some type of network managment tools?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Guru Elite

Re: Ping and discover wireless clients.

If the wireless networks for those clients on IAP are "Virtual controller Assigned", they are in a subnet that is natted and behind the IAP, and you should not be able to ping them.  If the wireless network is "Network Assigned" you should be able to ping.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks, Yes they are VIrtual controller assigned.

I understand now.

Is there a way to enable remote access software to connect in this configuration.

I.e., I use Microsoft Remote Assitant to help users with problems.

I cannot seem to do this with the VIrtuall Controller assigned addresses.

I did not want to use network assigned addresses because we have a limited amount of addresses available for DHCP on our LAN subnet.

Regards

Mario

Guru Elite

Do you have firewall policies attached to that user?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

If you mean the Firewall incorporated in the device then no there are no rules created for the user.

Guru Elite

Please open a support case.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: