Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

New Contributor

WIDS coverage survey

Im interested in knowing more about how to design a WIDS. I understand and know how to perform a passive RF survey. But what about WIDS? Do I just throw up an AP in monitor mode and walk around with a rogue access point? How do I determine how far the AP can listen so i know how many I need to cover my building?

Guru Elite

Re: WIDS coverage survey

IDS/IPS typically occur at management rates. At those lower rates, the frames go further. It is estimated that you deploy one AM for every AP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanks cjoseph,

Another quick question, some of the offices and conference rooms can not have WiFi in them just the WIDS sensor,  some offices are large and seperated by walls with doors, how do i determine how many sensors I need in those large offices?

Guru Elite

What exactly are you trying to do?  That will determine your strategy.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Long story short, Im trying to design a WIDS only system for part of my office, (R&D) we are a large corp and we have concerns about industial espionage in certain facilities we own. No wifi is allowed and I want to mitigate any rogue access points or cellphone hotspots. But the only way i can think of to make sure I have adequate WIDS coverage is to do a normal site survey and then use that heat map as my WIDS coverage area. I didnt know if there was another solution that im not thinking about or I dont know about.

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Again, if you have already surveyed for client coverage, you need 1/4 of the already deployed APs to cover your WIDS foot print.  Those will be dedicated air monitors, but regular APs also participate in WIDS...

You will also need the RFProtect license for that controller that matches the number of APs on that individual controller.  That will add the ability to deny access to clients, EXCEPT the ones on your network.  Before you go down that path, however, you should engage some legal opinions, because some business have chosen to block foreign user WLAN traffic and have been fined by the FCC....

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/The-FCC-has-clarified-their-stance-on-wireless-containment-but/m-p/226342#M46143

Colin Joseph

New Contributor

Ok, let me make sure I understand. Survey the restricted area, then what ever ekaheau tells me take that number of ap and only install a quarter of that number for sensors. 

I wanted to make sure there wasnt another tool or something like a reverse site survey where i put a sensor on a pole and walk around with a wifi hotspot cellphone or something.

Got it. Thanks for the help joseph.

Guru Elite

Correct.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: