Aruba Instant & Cloud Wi-Fi

Occasional Contributor II

iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Do you guys know if there is a way to use the iPhone USB tethering function as uplink for IAP?

WIFI-Uplink via iPhone personal Hotspot works fine but i'd prefer to get it working via USB connection.

Guru Elite

Re: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

No, this is not currently possible.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba ClearPass TME
@timcappalli | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480 / ACEAP / CWSP
Occasional Contributor I

Can you say FEATURE REQUEST?  I'm rather surprised that this was not done already.  Seems like a slam dunk with the amount of iDevices out there...

Guru Elite

You can turn on your hotspot feature and then use the WiFi uplink feature. 

Thanks, 
Tim

Aruba Employee

Interesting scenario… How do you guys feel this would be used? How will the IAP be powered?
Occasional Contributor I

IAP would be powered via power adapter.  This would allow option in case of Internet ISP outage or if traveling.  Configuring an Instant device at a hotel requires that the hotel manually activate service for the Instant device (by providing the MAC address for the Instant router).  In this configuration, we could connect power at the hotel, plug USB cable to Instant router and iPhone (or 3G/4G iPad for that matter), and get online via the 3G/4G connection.

Associate working from a client's office could bring the small RAP3, connect up, and get online without connecting to the client's network (many do not provide guest access).

Guru Elite

I would think you'd see this available from Android devices before Apple given the open nature of Android and closed nature of Apple. 

Thanks, 
Tim

Occasional Contributor I

Guru Elite

I would file a feature request on the idea portal then. 

To me, this seems like a lot of steps instead of just firing up a vpn connection on my laptop. 

Thanks, 
Tim

Aruba Employee

I u

I understand now.  Could I poke a little deeper and ask, what would be the benefit of this over just using the built-in personal hotspot function of the phone?  Is it because we believe the coverage would be better?

jerlev wrote:

IAP would be powered via power adapter.  This would allow option in case of Internet ISP outage or if traveling.  Configuring an Instant device at a hotel requires that the hotel manually activate service for the Instant device (by providing the MAC address for the Instant router).  In this configuration, we could connect power at the hotel, plug USB cable to Instant router and iPhone (or 3G/4G iPad for that matter), and get online via the 3G/4G connection.

Associate working from a client's office could bring the small RAP3, connect up, and get online without connecting to the client's network (many do not provide guest access).

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: