ArubaOS and Controllers

2 VRRP instances in the same vlan?

Hello

One of our customer is asking us to configure their (master) controllers using an active - active topology (they only have those 2 controllers). We think that the best approach would be to set up 2 VRRP instances in the vlan where the APs are already connected. I know this isn't exactly the recommended setup, but it seems to fit our case preety well. What do you guys think of it?

Thanks a lot
Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Guru Elite

Re: 2 VRRP instances in the same vlan?

If you have an active/active topology, would there be any capacity left for failover? If not, then configure one as a master, and one as a local to that master. Provision half the APS in a group who's LMS points to the master and the other half in a group who's LMS points to the local. Put a VRRP between both controllers and point the aruba-master DNS record to that VRRP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

First of all, thanks for the swift reply.

In regards to your question, there is more than enough capacity for failover. However, as the controllers (and the APs) are in 2 different buildings connected by a layer 2 vpn (and our customer has the same vlan for both buildings) we've thought it best to deploy an active - active topology with each AP going through their "local" (ie in the same building) master controller.
Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Guru Elite

That is a good plan, since they are layer2 connected.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: