ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

3-6 Gig of traffic per day when idle on RAP's

I have a 3600 controller and RAP2's, 105's and 125's. The ap's are setup as LAN access points where possible and as remote ap's. RIght now we are having a pretty serious issue. All RAP 2 users are complaining about 3-6 gig of data being used on their person home internet connections per day. THis is sending them over their ISP caps, so you can imagine they are a little ticked off. I am also seeing tons of traffic going to my regular branch offices as well even when they are idle.

ANy idea's or pointers as to what might be causing this?
Guru Elite

Re: 3-6 Gig of traffic per day when idle on RAP's

What version of code is this? ArubaOS 6.x has reduced the traffic from AP to controller via RAPs.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

its ArubaOS 5.0.2.0 but 3-6 gig per day on a rap2 at home with no one on it is a little excessive or is this normal?
Guru Elite

The answer is it depends on your infrastructure. The management traffic between RAPs was revamped in ArubaOS 6.x to reduce this.

How many devices share a broadcast domain for those RAPs? Are there wired clients at the headend in that domain, as well that could be sending broadcasts that are sent down every single tunnel? Are you using "Broadcast Filter" on the SSID on those Virtual APs so that they also do not replicate broadcast traffic? Broadcast filtering, as well as not having clients at your headend sending broadcasts to the same VLAN as the RAP users helps until you can go to ArubaOS 6.x

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Been doing some wireshark with Aruba support and they see a lot of NLB traffic traversing the tunnels more than broadcasts. Right now we are not using any broadcast filters but I will look into that. Support have the traffic capture and are analysing it as we speak so hopefully we will know more tomorrow but hey keep it coming. We are new to aruba.
Occasional Contributor I

Quick question, the broadcast filter where do I find that option?
Retired Employee

You will find it under the virtual-ap profile

#show wlan virtual-ap
Drop Broadcast and Multicast Disabled
Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast Disabled

It is recommended to enable both the features

The commands to enable them are:
(Aruba) (config) #wlan virtual-ap default
(Aruba) (Virtual AP profile "default") #broadcast-filter arp
(Aruba) (Virtual AP profile "default") #broadcast-filter all
(Aruba) # write memory

Note: replace the "default" with the profile name you want to enable this feature on.

--
HT
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the exact same issue, see here:

http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=4191

Did Aruba get to the bottom of it for you?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: