ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor I

620 controller user idle timeout question

I have a 620 controller running 5.0.2.1, I have kiosks that are plugged into the controller and are using the wired access AAA profile that is using a captive portal. We have proximity sensors on the kiosks that will detect when a user is at the keyboard. When the user leaves it closes the browser and then goes back to the home page. We want each user to use the Terms and conditions page (captive portal page) where they have to read a short paragraph and agree to the terms before they are given access to the internet. Our problem is with the AAA idle timer. I can set it to 2 minutes but if the user leaves and then another user sits down at the kiosk right after the previous one, the session will not time out and the new kiosk user will never see the Terms and Conditions page.

Reading the manual about the aaa idle-timeout says:
idle-timeout <0-255>
Maximum number of minutes after which a client is
considered idle if there is no user traffic from the
client.
The timeout period is reset if there is a user traffic.
After this timeout period has elapsed, the controller
sends probe packets to the client; if the client
responds to the probe, it is considered active and the
User Idle Timeout is reset (an active client that is not
initiating new sessions is not removed). If the client
does not respond to the probe, it is removed from the
system.
To prevent clients from timing out, set the value in the
field to 0.

I have set the idle timeout to 120 seconds But it seems it is longer than that before it takes the user to the Terms and Conditions page (captive portal). it says "an active client that is not initiating new session is not removed" So will the kiosk user get removed if the kiosk is wired to the controller? Won't a probe always have a response since it's wired? If traffic is coming from the kiosk constantly does that mean it will always reset the idle timer and never time out?

Is there a way to make this work so as soon as the browser is closed the user will be removed from the guest role and thus make the next user to sit down go to the captive portal?
Guru Elite

Re: 620 controller user idle timeout question

I have a 620 controller running 5.0.2.1, I have kiosks that are plugged into the controller and are using the wired access AAA profile that is using a captive portal. We have proximity sensors on the kiosks that will detect when a user is at the keyboard. When the user leaves it closes the browser and then goes back to the home page. We want each user to use the Terms and conditions page (captive portal page) where they have to read a short paragraph and agree to the terms before they are given access to the internet. Our problem is with the AAA idle timer. I can set it to 2 minutes but if the user leaves and then another user sits down at the kiosk right after the previous one, the session will not time out and the new kiosk user will never see the Terms and Conditions page.

Reading the manual about the aaa idle-timeout says:
idle-timeout <0-255>
Maximum number of minutes after which a client is
considered idle if there is no user traffic from the
client.
The timeout period is reset if there is a user traffic.
After this timeout period has elapsed, the controller
sends probe packets to the client; if the client
responds to the probe, it is considered active and the
User Idle Timeout is reset (an active client that is not
initiating new sessions is not removed). If the client
does not respond to the probe, it is removed from the
system.
To prevent clients from timing out, set the value in the
field to 0.

I have set the idle timeout to 120 seconds But it seems it is longer than that before it takes the user to the Terms and Conditions page (captive portal). it says "an active client that is not initiating new session is not removed" So will the kiosk user get removed if the kiosk is wired to the controller? Won't a probe always have a response since it's wired? If traffic is coming from the kiosk constantly does that mean it will always reset the idle timer and never time out?

Is there a way to make this work so as soon as the browser is closed the user will be removed from the guest role and thus make the next user to sit down go to the captive portal?

Maybe you can have the same mechanism that closes the browser hit the "logout" url for captive portal:

Attached is the captive portal customization chapter.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Maybe you can have the same mechanism that closes the browser hit the "logout" url for captive portal:

Attached is the captive portal customization chapter.

This pdf is for OS version 6, do I need to be running version 6 to be able to use the logout feature?
Frequent Contributor I

Should I be able to test this logout feature by typing into the address bar of my wireless client browser: https://controller-ip/auth/logout.html which will log me out? ( I tried this but it said page couldn't display or something but maybe I am doing it wrong?)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: