ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

802.11N Clients

Hello,

I have a 3400 Mobility controller and RAP 5WN APs for my Org. I have enabled the High through for all the RAP devices,but I can see only few (3 or 4 ) devices is working on N series above 54 mbps, why the other clients are not using the same.

I had tested with 5 ghz with SSID 5 GHZ and it worked well for few clients but how to force the clents to connect 802.11N in their system in 2.4 ghz.

Thanks and Regards,
Alex George.
Guru Elite

Re: 802.11N Clients

As per the 802.11n ratified standard, the only types of encryption that can do 802.11n speeds is "Open" or "AES" if you are doing a variant, like Wep or TKIP, your client is either not allowed to connect, or can only connect at 54megs with a workaround. Long story short, your clients must do AES encryption if they hope to do 802.11n speeds.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Occasional Contributor II

I am having hte Radious authendicaiton with Mixed . WPA-AES,WPA-TKIP,WPA2-AES and WPA2-TKIP, Pls advise does it have any issues with it.

Alex
Guru Elite

The clients that do NOT connect with WPA2-AES, will NOT be able to pass traffic at more than the 54 meg rate. Use the command "show dot1x supplicant info list-all command" to see what clients are using what encryption.
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Aruba Employee

Alex - You mentioned both 2.4 and 5GHz in your first post, but the RAP-5 is a single radio device. It can support both 2.4 and 5GHz, but not both at the same time. The AP system profile parameter called RF Band will control which band the radio will choose. Also, if you MUST support TKIP (or WEP) clients using 11n speeds, there is a parameter called Allow Weak Encryption in the High Throughput SSID profile that you can check to allow them on. Just be aware that allowing TKIP or WEP on your network is a security risk.
Contributor I

Is there a way to see this information through the WebUI?

Guru Elite

The GUI does not show that level of detail, no.
Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

1) You want to remove non-standard operation modes such as WPA2-TKIP and WPA-AES.

2) I'd personally also remove WPA-TKIP as well...no reason at all to continue to support that SSID unless you specifically have clients that cannot do AES.
Contributor I

1) You want to remove non-standard operation modes such as WPA2-TKIP and WPA-AES.

2) I'd personally also remove WPA-TKIP as well...no reason at all to continue to support that SSID unless you specifically have clients that cannot do AES.

The only mode currently selected is wpa2-psk-aes. When you suggest 'removing' the mode I assume you mean to unselect it so that it is unavailable? Is wpa2-psk-aes a compatible mode for 802.11N?
Aruba Employee

You said this "I am having hte Radious authendicaiton with Mixed . WPA-AES,WPA-TKIP,WPA2-AES and WPA2-TKIP, Pls advise does it have any issues with it." so I interpreted it to mean that you had all four modes enabled.

Yes, WPA2-AES-PSK is fine with 802.11n data rates.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: