ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

802.1x and captive portal as fallback

Hi,
I have a scenario which I do not know how to implement or is it possible at all? We have completed our preparations for 802.1x authentications and want to activate it at all ssids, but the problem is that the users need to configure their OSs according for a given set of instructions. So is it possible to, drop users who failed to authenticate (maybe after a number of failure) via 802.1x into a predefined vlan and captive portal role in order them to view and download related documents via captive portal.
Guru Elite

Re: 802.1x and captive portal as fallback

It is not possible. If a user does not pass 802.1x authentication on a SSID, they will not get an ip address, period. Their message that it does not work is that they have no connectivity. If the user devices are part of active directory, you might want to configure a group policy to push to user laptops so that they do not have to configure them http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=14623&postcount=3

You could also go to the Aruba website at support.arubanetworks.com and go to Tools and Resources > Aruba Wi-Fi Config and download the Windows XP or Windows Vista/7 tool to set up a wireless network on a Windows Laptop.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

thanks for the quick response, our institution is a university we authenticate users, so there are almost every kinds of user and devices which we can not manipulate directly. Consequently, I better set up and broadcast a seperate ssid for the sole purpose of distributing related documents and files for 802.1x config via Captive Portal.
Guru Elite

Sorry I could not be of more help. Qute a few higher education instituations have pages of instructions on how to do this, so you might want to look at a few to get an idea about what others do. The wifi config tool, when scripted, could be a nice one-click solution.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the advice I will look into it.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: