ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

AP disappeared from Controller

Hi...

Controller : Aruba 650 OS 3.4.2
AP : AP65
License : 16 Access Points

I was testing with initial configuration with the AP directly connected to the controller port. The AP was able to get an IP from the DHCP server.

Now after I change the Access point role to mesh point it disappeared from the controller and it status after entering 'show AP database' is flagged as down

I used the 'clear gap-db ' to remove it from that database in the hope that I can rediscover the AP again, but no luck.

I enabled a DHCP server on the controller but still no IP was received by the AP.

Is there anything I can do through the controller to discover this AP, perhaps a manual entry? Currently I cannot console to the AP (no Y splitter cable, soe as I understood doent work on gig port, no power cube :( )

Even I am noticing the AP is heating up more than before

All help is appreciated
Guru Elite

Re: AP disappeared from Controller

A mesh point is not supposed to be plugged in. It is normally the mesh access point that uses the radio to send traffic back to a mesh PORTAL, which DOES have its ethernet plugged in. If you configure another access point as a mesh portal, it should be able to see the mesh point, radio-to-radio and contact it. You will then be able to to what you want to do.

The reason why SOE does not work on a gig port is that the pins normally used for serial over ethernet on 10/100 are in use on a gig port. If you co

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks Collin for the explanation. I will try to use a mesh portal to try to get to the original AP.

Meanwhile I was able to make a custom 5v a/c adapter with the help of an electronics guy. I was able to power up the AP but nothing came up on the hyper terminal. I used the same console cable that I successfully use with the controller, pins 4,5,7 (if I remember) of the DB9 connector going through a straight utp cable to the AP's ethernet port.

Is there a different cable? I have followed this link http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1855 and I will try creating a cat 5 cable with the pinout given in the diagram (console side 3,4,5,,6 <--> AP side 4,5,7,8)

Thanks again
Occasional Contributor I

The custom console cable worked :) We followed the pin out in the AP 65 Datasheet and things were find, although all that appeared on the HT was ascii like characters, but nonetheless I typed purge, save, reset and the AP rebooted.

Once I plugged it in the controller it received an IP and my laptop saw an aruba-ap ssid, although I never defined it, but it seems I am getting somewhere.

Thanks again
Guru Elite

Glad to hear it.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Once I plugged it in the controller it received an IP and my laptop saw an aruba-ap ssid, although I never defined it, but it seems I am getting somewhere.

Thanks again

aruba-ap is the ssid used in the default ssid-profile that is used inside the default virtual-ap profile which in turn resides in the default ap-group :)
Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Guru Elite

yes, all the way until ArubaOS 6.1 a new controller install automatically broadcasts "aruba-ap" for any access points in the "default" ap group. That would be very new access point that hits the controller. In ArubaOS 6.1 and beyond, it no longer does that.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: