ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

AP65 load balancing - Need help

Hi there,

We're a large school and i'm having terrible problems with our aruba setup. Basically everyone is complaining about slow wireless network speeds.

We generally have 1 x AP65 in every classroom and teachers will use up to 15 laptops in their classroom. But not all classrooms will have laptops in them. So for instance, the science department have 6 classrooms but only 15 laptops. So only 1 teacher will be use them at a time.

I've discovered that we don't have load balancing switched on (found the setting myself today when looking around the web config) and I'm guess this is part of our problem, if not the main problem.

I've read the KB answer 276 which talks about how to configure the load balancing etc but can anyone give me some figures that I can use for the type of setup we have. It's school holidays at the moment but everyone comes back on Monday and I'd really like to try and put something in place before then. So any example settings for 15-20 laptops in 1 classroom, allow them to load balance between AP's in surrounding areas would be great.

Any other tips on how I can improve performance would be helpful as well.

Sorry I sound so fague but the school never paid for the training so I've had to figure it out by myself.

Many thanks

Leonard
Stressed IT Manager
Aruba Employee

Re: AP65 load balancing - Need help

What version of AOS are you running?
Guru Elite

Questions

Hi there,

We're a large school and i'm having terrible problems with our aruba setup. Basically everyone is complaining about slow wireless network speeds.

We generally have 1 x AP65 in every classroom and teachers will use up to 15 laptops in their classroom. But not all classrooms will have laptops in them. So for instance, the science department have 6 classrooms but only 15 laptops. So only 1 teacher will be use them at a time.

I've discovered that we don't have load balancing switched on (found the setting myself today when looking around the web config) and I'm guess this is part of our problem, if not the main problem.

I've read the KB answer 276 which talks about how to configure the load balancing etc but can anyone give me some figures that I can use for the type of setup we have. It's school holidays at the moment but everyone comes back on Monday and I'd really like to try and put something in place before then. So any example settings for 15-20 laptops in 1 classroom, allow them to load balance between AP's in surrounding areas would be great.

Any other tips on how I can improve performance would be helpful as well.

Sorry I sound so fague but the school never paid for the training so I've had to figure it out by myself.

Many thanks

Leonard
Stressed IT Manager

- What version of ArubaOS are you on?
- How many clients do you have on simultaneously when you see degradation?
- Do you have band-steering turned on?
- Are the wireless clients in the same subnet as wired clients?
- Did you turn on drop-broadcast at the Virtual AP level if the answer to the above question is yes?

Try turning on Band-Steering and Drop Broadcasts before you try load balancing.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

The OS version is 3.3.1.22

We tend to get poor performance when laptops are logging in. Very long login times. Although classrooms generally only have 15 laptops, another subject classroom might be next door with another 15 laptops. Its hard to tell since they move them around all the time. But generally it'll be 15 laptops in 1 room with 1 AP.

The wireless clients are in the same subnet as the wired.

I don't believe I have band Steering or drop broadcasts switched on. But I don't know where to find them. Where can I find them and what do they do?

Many thanks again.

Leonard
:o
Guru Elite

Upgrade

The OS version is 3.3.1.22

We tend to get poor performance when laptops are logging in. Very long login times. Although classrooms generally only have 15 laptops, another subject classroom might be next door with another 15 laptops. Its hard to tell since they move them around all the time. But generally it'll be 15 laptops in 1 room with 1 AP.

The wireless clients are in the same subnet as the wired.

I don't believe I have band Steering or drop broadcasts switched on. But I don't know where to find them. Where can I find them and what do they do?

Many thanks again.

Leonard
:o

Leonard,

The first problem is that your wired clients are in the same subnet as your wired clients. Wired clients will send broadcasts, multicasts at line speed, whereas wireless client's tendency is to back off and not transmit whenever it sees traffic in the air. This means that wireless clients will always be degraded in the presence of wired clients that can send traffic at will. These broadcasts have to be copied out of all access points that have clients on them, further degrading and congesting wireless traffic Give the wireless clients their own subnet and you will see an improvement.

Drop Broadcast and Band Steering were introduced in ArubaOS 3.3.2.x. Upgrade to ArubaOS 3.3.2.x and the knobs will appear in the virtual AP profile for these features. Drop broadcasts will help mitigate the broadcasts that wired and wireless clients send, by not replicating them out of every access point, saving usable bandwidth for data, as opposed to meaningless broadcasts. Band steering will steer clients that are 5ghz (802.11a) capable by sending them over to this less congested band. Of course, this will not work if you don't have dual-band access points (AP65, AP70, AP120, AP125).

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Colin - I found some information regarding the 'drop broadcast/multicast' feature in the KB, but I could use some clarification about dropping multicast packets. How does this affect igmp joins to a multicast stream?

Thanks
Guru Elite

Multicast

Colin - I found some information regarding the 'drop broadcast/multicast' feature in the KB, but I could use some clarification about dropping multicast packets. How does this affect igmp joins to a multicast stream?

Thanks

Mike,

Even if a client could see and join a stream, the resulting multicast would be dropped..

Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

Ok, thanks Colin...So don't turn that on if your clients need to get to multicast streams then.
Guru Elite

Correct

Correct.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: