ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

APs showing as AMs following upgrade

One of our sites is showing as having some AMs when they should be APs. We up'ed from 3.3.1 to 3.4 and a few of the APs are now AMs. What's weird is that last night there was one AM, now there is 3! I have rebooting, reprovisioning them and checking free licenses. They are RAPs. Any ideas?

James
Guru Elite

Show ap active, show ap database

One of our sites is showing as having some AMs when they should be APs. We up'ed from 3.3.1 to 3.4 and a few of the APs are now AMs. What's weird is that last night there was one AM, now there is 3! I have rebooting, reprovisioning them and checking free licenses. They are RAPs. Any ideas?

James

You should do a show ap active and show ap database and see if those APs have any flags next to them.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Mode aware ARM enabled?

James,

Are these campus APs? I see a reference to remote APs, so I am not sure. If they are campus APs (APs that are connected via a GRE tunnel, not an IPSec tunnel), then check if mode aware ARM is enabled. To check, go into the GUI, click on Configuration > AP Configuration > Edit > RF Management > Either the 802.11a or 802.11g Radio Profile (or both, if you have dual radio APs) > Adaptive Radio Management (ARM) Profile. Check the setting for Mode Aware ARM. If it is enabled, the APs are free to switch between AP and AM mode, depending on their calculated coverage index. If the installation is dense, it will not be uncommon to see APs convert to AMs. If they are ever needed to properly cover an area, they may switch back to AP mode.

If these are truly remote APs, I am not sure why they would convert to AM mode.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: APs showing as AMs following upgrade

We had the same issue. Everything was working fine until we upgraded to 3.4. It was just the GUI that was off though. If you use the CLI and take a look at the APs. (show ap database) you should see that all are APs not AMs. I had TS look at this and they couldn't figure it out.

Also you may notice, as we did, that the IDS counters are off. We now have to go into the controllers sometimes and look at where a rogue or ad-hoc is located since the GUI won't tell us that it is active. TS also looked at this and hasn't come up with a solution yet. This has happened with all 3.4 versions. 3.4, 3.4.0.1, 3.4.0.2, 3.4.0.3, haven't tried 3.4.0.4 yet.
Frequent Contributor II

Hi guys, thanks will take a look in the morning. It seems random, like the mode aware is changing them. But, whilst I have applied this and they are true remotes, its not happened anywhere else.

Will poke around the CLI and database tomorrow and let you all know.
Ta.
Frequent Contributor II

Hi, it was mode aware! But it only seemed to be kicking in at one site, others have just the same density, odd. We only have one ARM profile (default) under each radio profile being applied. Anyway, will leave it back on. Ta.
Aruba Employee

I've experienced the same situation with 3.4.0.3 with AP125.

I upgraded the 3.4.0.4 and reconfigured the necessary profile and it's solved.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: