ArubaOS and Controllers

Regular Contributor I

ARM sub feature in dense deployments

There is an interesting discussion about ARM on Educause WIRELESS-LAN right now (titles "What is the value of ARM". I also have an ARM question but thought it would be better to response "within the Aruba community" first.

The question I have about ARM is the feature where APs can "turn off their radios" if they detect too many other Aruba APs in the area. This is helpful to minimize RF clutter in a heavily dense deployment when several of the APs are not in use by clients. Makes sense in that regard.

From what I understand, however, the APs in this mode are "AP-aware" but not "client-aware". So, when an empty conference suite (or previously idle dorm in early Sept.) suddenly fills up with hundreds of users the APs that shut down their radios don't know that they are needed to help with sudden capacity spikes.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something here? Should I make a new profile that has this feature turned off for dense deployments?

Thanks!
Mike
Guru Elite

ARM Mode Aware

There is an interesting discussion about ARM on Educause WIRELESS-LAN right now (titles "What is the value of ARM". I also have an ARM question but thought it would be better to response "within the Aruba community" first.

The question I have about ARM is the feature where APs can "turn off their radios" if they detect too many other Aruba APs in the area. This is helpful to minimize RF clutter in a heavily dense deployment when several of the APs are not in use by clients. Makes sense in that regard.

From what I understand, however, the APs in this mode are "AP-aware" but not "client-aware". So, when an empty conference suite (or previously idle dorm in early Sept.) suddenly fills up with hundreds of users the APs that shut down their radios don't know that they are needed to help with sudden capacity spikes.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something here? Should I make a new profile that has this feature turned off for dense deployments?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike,

ARM Mode Aware is designed to deal with interference when you have too much coverage, not capacity. If you have too much 2.4 ghz coverage on a dual-radio AP, it will only turn the 2.4ghz side of the AP into an air monitor. The 5ghz side will continue to serve clients. To wit, if you are fully covered on the 2.4ghz spectrum, you would not add more capacity by adding more access points...just more interference. In the 5ghz spectrum it is much less likely to happen, so all your APs would normally remain on.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: