ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Actual capacity of the Aruba 3400 controller

Gentlemen, good morning. I am conducting a process for purchase of wireless equipment and in this case I specify that the controller has to support 200 APs.
At my company we already have the Aruba wireless system, you already know the equipment.
Finally, the equipment offered by Aruba is the 3400 controller. I noticed that the controller only supports 64 LAN Ap's.
In the same purchasing process was offered by the Aruba the 105AP.
I wonder if the controller Aruba 3400 is able to control 200 units of Aruba 105 AP's.
Thanks!
Aruba Employee

Re: Actual capacity of the Aruba 3400 controller

Hi corbellari,

It doesn't matter which AP type you select, the platform limit is always the same. In your case it's 64 campus APs per 3400. If you need to get to 200 APs on a single mobility controller you'll need to purchase an M3 and 6000 chassis. For a more detailed view of capacity see the mobility controller matrix at http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/matrix-mobility-controller.pdf

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
New Contributor

Thank you Mr Logan. Our local Aruba Networks vendor said that after the IOS 5.0, the licenses were concatenated. Now with your confirmation, we find that is not true.
Thanks again, your information was very important for our process.

:)
Aruba Employee

Well now you're asking a different question :)

It is true that there is only an AP license now, and that covers both RAPs and CAPs (Campus AP, or LAN connected). The RAP limit is higher as there is much less requirement on the data plane from a WAN connected AP vs. a CAP, and there are functionality differences as well. Each consumes an AP license, but that doesn't mean that the RAP limit applies to campus connected APs.

If you are talking about deploying RAPs across a WAN link you can have a higher number of APs on your controller, but from what I understand you're talking about CAPs on the local area network. If you look at the first two lines on the mobility controller matrix, you'll see the difference there in the limits.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
New Contributor

Dear friend, this is exactly what I mean, there's no confusion. What I'm looking for is exactly the licenses of LAN-connected. I say this because the AP's offered by the supplier are the Aruba 105 ap (LAN-connected).
The vendor said, as of licenses concatenated, the Aruba 3400 controller would be able to support 200 units of the Aruba 105 ap. This is not possible right?
In our buying process been clear that the APs should be fully controllable by the controller, which excludes the RAP AP's.
Am I wrong?
Aruba Employee

OK, now I see the confusion, I think I misunderstood your last post. You are correct, their is only a single license for CAP and RAP, and for campus connected APs the limit is 64 CAPs on the 3400. You would need to go to an M3 or two 3600s to get to 200 CAPs.

Thanks
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

Apparently there is some confusion, so let's clarify starting with our definitions:

• Campus APs (CAPs) - these are LAN connected APs
  • Remote APs (RAPs) - these are WAN connected APs using IPsec backhaul from a remote site over the Internet or private WAN link

The licensing model is an AP license, and a single license is consumed for either a CAP or a RAP. This is independent of the platform limit for each model. It is possible to license the controller at a level that is higher than is supported for CAPs, but the system will not allow additional CAPs to operate past the platform limit.

For complete specifications, please download the mobility controller matrix from Aruba's public website at http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/matrix-mobility-controller.pdf

For the 3400, the platform limits are:

• CAP - 64 APs
  • RAP - 256 APs

Every four RAPs consumes one CAP if you are deploying a controller to terminate both. You cannot terminate 64 CAPs and 256 RAPs. The way you determine if you are under the limit will be to use the following formula:

Number of RAPs/4 + Number of CAPs <= CAP limit

Aruba does not recommend that you do this as it leads to confusion on remaining license counts. It also requires Internet reachability to the mobility controller inside the network, which is usually not allowed by the security policy. Typically a separate controller is deployed in the DMZ.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: