ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor I

Aruba 5.0.3 - new Band Steering feature

I now see 3 options for band steering:
-balance bands
- prefer 5ghz
- force 5ghz

Question: Was this added to fix the issues with Macs and band-steering (many would fail to connect with BS enabled)?
If so, I cannot find any docs on it, what is the difference between these 3 configurations?

Thanks,
Marcelo Lew
Wireless Network Architect-Engineer
University of Denver
Frequent Contributor I

Re: Aruba 5.0.3 - new Band Steering feature

OK, I found the explanation under Aruba 6.0 OS.
Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
Occasional Contributor II

Can I inquire what problem you had with Macs and bandsteering. I've had to turn this feature off because of people complaining about slowness (and inability) to connect.

Also, has this fixed your problem in 5.0.3?

Cheers,
-Jeff
Frequent Contributor I

I turned it on a few days back, so I have to wait a bit see if that helped Macs.
This is an email I sent to the campus users a few months back explaining the situation we were having:
**According to many other Universities and some research, seems that the MacBooks with issues are actually trying to use 2.4GHz, getting rejected due to band-steering for 8 consecutive times (Aruba’s band-steering default and non-tunable right now), and end up giving up before the 9th association request, where Aruba would let it associate to this band (2.4GHz). This works very well for most Windows Machines.
Until we can fine tune band-steering on the Aruba controllers (feature request in process) to help out these MacBooks, we are disabling band-steering in most places that do not have a high concentration of APs. Band-Steering seems to work very good in areas that do have a high concentration of APs (classrooms mostly) and MacBooks have a direct line of sight to the AP. In other areas, we still have Spectrum Load Balancing enabled (to help spread users across different channel), but what band (2.4GHz vs 5GHz) a user will connect to will be exclusively dependent on the client’s wireless chipset/ card driver. Therefore, it is important for users to have their system’s wireless chipset/card driver up to date, so I would recommend checking this first if a user is complaining of low or spotty signal level.***

Hopefully, the new implementation of Band Steering on 5.0.3 will help with this problem.
Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: