ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

Aruba 650 controller question

Hi...

This is my first experience with Aruba gear, but I am running into some issues that I hope to find resolution for...

- The controller is Aruba 650 running OS 3.4.2 and currently I have plugged in an AP 65 directly in gig 1/3 port. I have configured DHCP options 43 and 60 on our servers and from the controller gui the AP receives ip address properly. All FW/roles/policies were left to default

1- The 'show ap license usage' command shows that there are a total of 64 indoor mesh licenses while all other license entries are zero. Does this mean that the AP have to be configured as Mesh Points/portal? I am just interested in a very basic setup.

2- The controller shows the AP flagged as IL. Does this have anything to do with the licenses available being indoor mesh only?

3- I changed the mode of the AP to mesh portal but after a while the controller shows its status down. I now try to telnet to the controller via port 2300 (after enabling telnet cli and telnet soe) to try to get console access to the AP, but as soon as I type telnet 2300 i get a blank screen and it goes back to the cmd prompt after typing any key, no username / password prompt is seen. Is there anything missing to enable soe? Any firewall rule, etc.?

Thanks,

All Help Is Appreciated
Guru Elite

Re: Aruba 650 controller question

You need to contact support to get licenses. At minimum you need AP licenses to be installed on the controller. If you want to do policy enforcement, you need policy enforcement licenses.

Please see the basic installation video here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/training/controller_setup_video.html

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks very much for the reply,

I received the Aruba controller and APs from a department that closed down, they've never used it at all. I wonder why they never ordered any licenses!

But one question remains, could you please tell me what is the purpose of the 64 indoor mesh clients included on the controller?

Thanks again.
Guru Elite

Maybe that is the only license that they ordered. That would only allow you to mesh together two access points, but without any other licenses, it would not allow users to associate. You might want to find out from support if they had any other licenses

support@arubanetworks.com

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks again,

One last query, is this missing license preventing SOE from operating?

I just want to reset the AP to factory default and SOE seems to be the only option (no Power adapter, no Y splitter)
Guru Elite

The missing license would not prevent SOE from working. SOE, however does not work on gigabit ethernet ports, only 10/100 ports.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the reply, I located and installed the license

I will open a new thread for other issues I am facing.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: