ArubaOS and Controllers

Aruba Employee

Aruba AP Roaming to Cisco Ap

Hi,

I have question, can Aruba AP user roam to Cisco AP? My customer say can be done, but i don't known anyway to do it?
Guru Elite

Re: Aruba AP Roaming to Cisco Ap

As long as the WLANs are named the same, use the same type of encryption, and place the user on the same subnet, you should be able to do this. You cannot do this with Captive Portal, however.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

If I can't use Captive Portal to configure, what are the steps? Can you provide the guide?
Guru Elite

As long as a single device is providing Captive Portal downstream, either the Aruba Controller, or a Cisco controller or an external Captive Portal device, you should be okay.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Okay, so if you are going from one system to another, you technically cannot "roam" per the 802.11r amendment. However, you probably can "transfer" from one vendor to another if the clients settings are set in a way that will not require any user interaction. If authentication is set up to use two-factor authentication, i.e. smart cards with certs, the users credentials would have to be cached.

-Matt
CWNA, ACMP, CISSP
New Contributor

This works fine, as long as you use the same SSID and keys on both. I have not seen any problems so far.
Guru Elite

True.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: