ArubaOS and Controllers

Aruba

Aruba download times much longer than Cisco AP

Hi,

We are deploying a very large Aruba solution at multiple sites. The customer has a limited existing Cisco deployment which we intend to replace with Aruba APs.

Testing on the two pilot sites have been very good, but apparently the download times through the Aruba APs are consistently double that of the Cisco APs at both sites.

The particular client affected is using an Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n. This doesn't seem to happen when using another client such as a laptop etc.

I simply can't see any reason why this is the case and need to establish why this is and if there is anything more I can do in order to close the gap in this discrepancy.

Anyone have suggestions on what to look for or do?

Thanks

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Aruba Employee

Re: Aruba download times much longer than Cisco AP

It would help to have more information on what the client is (and supplicant), which controller, AP code, how the network is setup, etc. It could be any number of things but there isn't much to go on here...

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Aruba

The clients are HP T5740E, using a Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n wireless adapter. I don't have much more information than that I'm afraid.

The APs are 124/125 with one controller (MODEL: Aruba650), Version 5.0.3.2 and the other controller being (MODEL: Aruba3400-US), Version 6.0.1.2

The network setup is fairly standard in that the controllers and APs are in the same subnet, with the clients being in different vlans/subnets. The testing on the Cisco AP was (or should've been) done with the client on the same vlan they would be on the Aruba.

:)

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Aruba Employee

Any chance they are using TKIP, which would limit them to 54 M. If they did that on Aruba but ran open or AES on Cisco you would see a huge difference in speeds. How are the APs powered? With the 120 series they start to power down functionality if they don't get enough power from PoE. Basically we need more info...

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Aruba

As far as I'm aware it should have been a like for like test. If anything the cisco may only have been g radio. The clients are all connected to the Aruba with n radios and on 5 GHz. The upload times were essentially the same though.

They are all powered with new cisco PoE switches.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Aruba Employee

I would confirm that everything is 100% the same, and if so, open a support case.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: