ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Authentication Questions

Hi All,

We're currently using the Internal DB as our authentication "server". We have physically visited each laptop and set them up to connect to our wireless network and entered in one of our limited number of user accounts in our Internal DB. There was no interaction required by our users.

We're now about to migrate over to a Microsoft AD environment, so we want to be able to use one of the other authentication server types, but have a few questions.

Which would be better to use in an AD environment? RADIUS Server or Windows Server? How difficult are either of these to set up?

Can we continue to use our Internal DB authentication method as we move users to a different authentication method?

Can these changes be pushed out via group policy or some other remote method or will we need to revisit each computer?

We're running mostly 3200 controllers with two 3400 controllers. All are running OS 5.0.2.1.

Thanks for your time,
Mark
Guru Elite

Re: Authentication Questions

Hi All,

We're currently using the Internal DB as our authentication "server". We have physically visited each laptop and set them up to connect to our wireless network and entered in one of our limited number of user accounts in our Internal DB. There was no interaction required by our users.

We're now about to migrate over to a Microsoft AD environment, so we want to be able to use one of the other authentication server types, but have a few questions.

Which would be better to use in an AD environment? RADIUS Server or Windows Server? How difficult are either of these to set up?

Can we continue to use our Internal DB authentication method as we move users to a different authentication method?

Can these changes be pushed out via group policy or some other remote method or will we need to revisit each computer?

We're running mostly 3200 controllers with two 3400 controllers. All are running OS 5.0.2.1.

Thanks for your time,
Mark

You should leave the existing wireless in place and phase in the "Radius Server" WLAN.

Each version of Windows Server has a built-in free Radius server called IAS or NPS, depending on the version you have. You should certainly use that. Appendix D in the ArubaOS user guide shows you how to setup the server as well as the client side of this. In addition Microsoft has a number of supplemental documents that say how to set it up as well as configure group policy here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771746%28WS.10%29.aspx

And here: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6148576.html?tag=leftCol;articleText
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor I

Re: Authentication Questions

Thanks for the response. I'll read through those documents and have a go at it. I'll post back if I run into any hurdles.

Mark
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: