ArubaOS and Controllers

MVP

Automatically turning an Apple Airport on and off when closing the lid

All,

I have been working with the team at Shenandoah University on a fix for the Apple issues that we have seen on our respective wireless networks. I have a complete Aruba network and they have a complete Cisco network. On both of our networks, we have seen Apple devices perform 802.1X authentication, but fail to obtain an IP address.

We have come up with a solution for the most difficult of clients. This solution utilizes Sleepwatcher 2.1.1, which can be found at the following site:

http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/

We have made some custom scripts that will disable Airport when it sleeps and enables Airport when the machine wakes up. It will also forcibly disable and enable Airport when the machine reboots.

We have found that this solution has improved connectivity issues on some very difficult Apple computers.

To install the UpDown utility:

1. Save "updown-wireless-03202011.tar.gz" to your Desktop.
2. Go to Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal
3. Type the following in Terminal: cd Desktop
4. Type the following in Terminal: unzip updown-wireless-03202011.zip (I had to zip up the tar.gz file in order to upload it to the forum)
5. Type the following in Terminal: tar –zxvf updown-wireless-03202011.tar.gz
6. Type the following in Terminal: cd UpDownWireless/
7. Type the following in Terminal: ./install.sh
8. This will require your password to finish the install.
9. You will see the following when it is complete: "Finished installing updown wireless utility"

To remove the UpDown utility:

1. Save "updown-wireless-03202011.tar.gz" to your Desktop.
2. Go to Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal
3. Type the following in Terminal: cd Desktop
4. Type the following in Terminal: unzip updown-wireless-03202011.zip (I had to zip up the tar.gz file in order to upload it to the forum)
5. Type the following in Terminal: tar –zxvf updown-wireless-03202011.tar.gz
6. Type the following in Terminal: cd UpDownWireless/
7. Type the following in Terminal: ./uninstall.sh
8. This will require your password to finish the uninstall.
9. You will see the following when it is complete: "Finished removing updown wireless utility"

I was able to verify that it was working by closing the lid on my Macbook and then running the following command:

grep –I sleep /var/log/system.log

Note: Please examine the scripts and install files to feel comfortable with what it is doing before you install this on a client computer. I take no responsibility if it doesn't work in your environment.

I hope this helps!

-Mike
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: