ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

Band Steering too agressive?

We're just starting to roll out an aruba deployment using AP-105s and 3600 controllers.

We have two SSIDs one (GACsecure) is set up with band steering turned on (and uses WPA2) the other is named GACwireless and has band steering turned off.

Some users with cards capable of 5ghz are reporting that their connection will occasionally drop if they connect to GACsecure, so they are just connecting to GACwireless, presumably at 2.4ghz most of the time.

I assume that this is because band steering is trying to get them to use 5ghz when they are close to the edge of 5ghz coverage.

Is there any way to make band steering less aggressive so that those clients will be more reliable but still use 5ghz when it would work well?
Guru Elite

Band Steering

We're just starting to roll out an aruba deployment using AP-105s and 3600 controllers.

We have two SSIDs one (GACsecure) is set up with band steering turned on (and uses WPA2) the other is named GACwireless and has band steering turned off.

Some users with cards capable of 5ghz are reporting that their connection will occasionally drop if they connect to GACsecure, so they are just connecting to GACwireless, presumably at 2.4ghz most of the time.

I assume that this is because band steering is trying to get them to use 5ghz when they are close to the edge of 5ghz coverage.

Is there any way to make band steering less aggressive so that those clients will be more reliable but still use 5ghz when it would work well?

There is no way to do this in current shipping versions of Aruba code, but stay tuned. The other option, is to turn of Band Steering and see if you still have the same issues. It could be that it is not related to band steering, at all, so open a case and find out for sure.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Band Steering too agressive?

Just off the back of this, what happens if you have say a mix of AP105s/65s and AP61s and you turn BS on? Would the 61s (on g) kick off the clients and onto to an empty a band? I have a site, one half with 65s and the other 61s!
Guru Elite

Do Not participate

Single band APs do not participate in band steering.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: