ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Bandwidth monitoring

I have a seperate network just for our customers. Think of a hotel like scenerio. I would like to monitor and see how much bandwidth my cutomers use over period of time. Is there any way I can do that in the controller? :confused:
Guru Elite

Airwave

Skywalker,

The best way to do that, from an enterprise perspective is Airwave, bar none. The raw data that you would need to compile those statistics is within the Aruba controller and is pollable via SNMP mibs that Aruba has documented quite nicely. However the ability to manipulate and present that data in a way that answers actual business questions and presents them in a way that is useful, you must use Airwave.

Ask your Aruba salesperson/engineer to evaluate Airwave and see for yourself.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Re: Bandwidth monitoring

Airwave is nice but we are not ready for this yet. Is there any other alternative option? Something ... like open source.
Guru Elite

It depends

What you are comfortable with installing. There are a number of open-source tools like Rancid and Cacti that will poll and graph these, but they not all exactly easy to setup. It would be interesting to see what everyone else is using.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

I use MRTG. It works with Aruba MIBs well. I never had much luck using Cacti with Aruba.
Contributor I

Actually we are using Cacti. But no information regarding configuration with Aruba is available.
Aruba Employee

If you map your different SSID to a different vlan and if you map that vlan to a different physical port, you can easily monitor the utilization of that port via PRTG (with it's free version, you can monitor up to 10 sensors)

Professional way is using Airwave, of course :)
Occasional Contributor I

Cacti

Skywalker,

I would be interested in hearinng more about your use of cacti for this.

Care to share?

-Charlie
Contributor I

i kinda give up mess with Aruba's MIB on Cacti. I simply use basic snmp function to pull interface statistic on the controller.