ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Best Practice for replacing a master controller?

I'm just curious what you guys think about the best practice for migrating a master controller from an M3 (defective interface) to a new M3.

My process involves upgrading code, syncing to existing master, installing licenses, captive portal, community string, setting ipsec key, and a few other details.

I would like to use a flashbackup from one to another adding the new licenses but I'm not certain that will do it ...

Your thoughts?
Guru Elite

M3 to M3

I'm just curious what you guys think about the best practice for migrating a master controller from an M3 (defective interface) to a new M3.

My process involves upgrading code, syncing to existing master, installing licenses, captive portal, community string, setting ipsec key, and a few other details.

I would like to use a flashbackup from one to another adding the new licenses but I'm not certain that will do it ...

Your thoughts?

M3 to M3 is very straightforward:

do flashbackup
copy flashbackup to new M3
restore flashbackup to new M3 (don't reboot yet)
Install Licenses to New M3
reboot.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Best Practice for replacing a master controller?

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll post back if that doesn't work.
Aruba Employee

Please clear all ARP caches on connected switches when replacing controllers

Aruba TAC has received several cases related complications resulting from replacing controllers. After the replacement, the new controller failed to establish IPsec tunnel with other controllers. Upon investigations, it was discovered that the connected L2/L3 switches still has the controller IP address bind to the MAC address of the replaced controller. Clearing the ARP cache on all connected switches fixes the problem.

Re: Best Practice for replacing a master controller?

Thanks albert, you are a rock star as usual.

I'll be sure to go to the local switches and run

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: