ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Broadcasting an SSID for certain times during the day

We have an open wireless network here on our campus that our students can use with their devices to get on the internet. Eventually we will put it on a captive portal so we have them authenticate, but for right now, it is just open. We want to put some restrictions in place none the less and only broadcast that SSID when the school is open. I've found where you can set times on the controller, but I'm not clear how to tie that to a particular Virtual AP. Can anyone help out?
MVP

Re: Broadcasting an SSID for certain times during the day

I'm not sure how to do this to a VAP but you can apply time ranges to firewall rules.

I would create a rule at the top of the firewall policy in the role that users on this SSID are put into that's like this:

ipv4 any any any drop
Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------
-------------------------------------------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Aruba Employee

I'm not sure what version you're running, but you can put a deny time range directly into the VAP. It's available in 5.0.4.1, so go into your VAP config in see if you see "Deny time range" in there. If you do, you can put the deny time in there.

Note, it won't stop the SSID from being broadcast in that time, but the AP will not accept associations during that time.
New Contributor

Thank you for the help. I have no idea why I didn't see that before. The Deny Time field does appear on the VAP profile as well. I was able to set it there.
Aruba Employee

It's easy to miss...glad you found it.

You may want to be sure you're using NTP if you're using time-based restrictions. Just a suggestion.
Aruba

And Daylight savings settings ;-)
Aruba Employee

Just a side note, after setting up NTP, you do have to reboot the
controller. That's prevented me from setting it up.

Zach
Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: